Scott Cochran: What kind of recruiter is he already for Georgia?
Want to attack every day with the latest UGA football recruiting info? That’s what the Intel brings. This entry details what one vital 5-star recruiting target had to say about what new Georgia on-field coach Scott Cochran has been like recruiting for Georgia.
Sam Pittman is the new head coach at Arkansas. James Coley now recruits and coaches ball for Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M. Scott Fountain also followed Pittman to the SEC West. That’s all the more reason why Scott Cochran recruiting for Georgia is a very good thing.
The Bulldogs lost some of their alpha recruiters after the 2019 season. That was a core of recruiters who built recruiting classes that finished sixth, third, first, second and first (247Sports Composite ratings) over Kirby Smart’s first five full cycles in Athens.
Cochran – long known as a player favorite during his time as the strength coach at Alabama – has been a tireless and effective recruiter in his first year at UGA.
He hasn’t been on the trail much yet due to the pandemic. He will be quite the asset walking the halls or showing up on a practice or Friday night field anywhere in the South, but especially Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
But he has been burning up the wi-fi and video conferences for the Bulldogs. When DawgNation asked priority 5-star target Amarius Mims about Cochran and his recruiting, he had a lot to say.
Is he the same passionate and impressionable “Coach Yeah” that we’ve seen over the years in all those ESPN specials highlighting the best of the Crimson Tide?
“Oh, man,” Mims said. “That’s my guy.”
For starters, he said that he hears from Cochran just about every day. Cochran and Luke have been an effective one-two punch for the Bulldogs with the nation’s No. 2 OT prospect.
Scott Cochran: What is he like as a recruiter?
Ask Mims that question in the big font up above. His reply will begin with the biggest of smiles.
“We talked last night,” Mims said last week. “He had me laughing, man. I love coach Cochran. That’s my guy.”
Here’s an interesting twist: Mims went on a visit to ‘Bama in early 2020. Cochran was just rolling and repping the Tide then.
Cochran was announced as a new member of the Georgia staff back in late February. That was after serving for 13 years as the strength and conditioning coach at Alabama.”
“It was crazy,” Mims said. “My Dad and I were with each other. We see this thing where it says that coach Cochran goes to Georgia. I was like … I was just there like last weekend or two weekends ago. There is no way this man is going to Georgia.”
It wasn’t long at all before Cochran reached out to Mims. Except for this time, it was as a member of the Georgia staff.
“He was talking like ‘I am coming after you for Georgia now’ and I was like ‘Oh man’ and ‘This is so crazy and wild’ with all of that,” Mims said.
If Cochran can help Luke bring Mims to Georgia, that would be a novel feat as his secondary recruiter. What could he do with Louisiana 5-star Maason Smith or California 5-star Korey Foreman?
Here’s an easy prediction: The more upper-echelon prospects who call Cochran “my guy” the better the Georgia 2021 recruiting class will turn out to be. He will have to replace the load carried on the trail the past few years by Coley and Pittman, among others.
His official title is as special teams coordinator, but that role will allow him to recruit both sides of the ball for the Bulldogs. That’s because Kirby Smart values special teams for what it truly is: An important third of the game.
(the recent reads on DawgNation.com)
- What is that 5-star relationship like between Amarius Mims and Brock Vandagriff?
- De’Jahn “Nugget” Warren shares why UGA sits snug among his top 3
- BREAKING: 3-star OG Jared Wilson flips back into the 2021 class at UGA
- PHOTOS: Check out 6-foot-8 Amarius Mims in action at practice
- Amarius Mims: The 8 things to know right now about the 5-star and his recruiting
- 5-star junior QB Gunner Stockton announces he is down to two schools
- New offer to 6-foot-6 TE Pearce Spurlin III says something about future of the position
- WATCH: Georgia legacy Justin Benton explains why Georgia is “home”
- Elite CB target Nyland Green lays out his current decision plans
- BREAKING: Explosive 2022 ATH CJ Washington commits to his dream school UGA
- Stunning heartfelt commitment from 5-star ATH James Williams ends his process
- Georgia DT pledge Marlin Dean reopens his recruiting
- Jamon Dumas-Johnson: Why he is his brother’s keeper. All six of them
- What do we really know about reports of a recent Broderick Jones injury?
- BREAKING: Tennessee WR Adonai Mitchell has made his college decision
- Brock Bowers: Nation’s No. 3 TE feels ‘Athens in different’ after an improvised trip