Mecole Hardman, Jr. said earlier this month that a fan offered to get a tattoo of his face if he committed to their school. That seemed to be a going rate for crazy when it comes to really hoping their school signs the nation’s top-ranked athlete for the Class of 2016.
Well, it looks like the price of fanaticism is even higher than that for a 5-star rated as the nation’s No. 1 cornerback. Major UGA target DeAngelo Gibbs told the AJC’s DawgNation.com this week that a fan offered to name their child after him if the junior went to Tennessee.
“I’ve had a couple of people say if you come here I’d name my child after you and all types of crazy stuff,” Gibbs said. “It kind of gets overwhelming but at the same time I am just enjoying it and taking this experience as slow as possible because eventually this time will run out.”
Ah, the hilarity that shows up in his Twitter timeline every day. He said that other fans have promised to name their dogs after him if he winds up at Tennessee.
Gibbs also covered the following topics during his video interview this week with the AJC’s DawgNation.com:
- He hasn’t played this year with an ankle injury. Will he play this week?
- What was it like not getting to compete against both Archer and McEachern?
- His thoughts on his unofficial visit to Knoxville for the Tennessee vs. Oklahoma game.
- How does he currently feel about UGA playing so many freshmen on defense?
- How excited is he about the Alabama game at UGA this year?
Jeff Sentell covers UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges.