Every elite high school prospect is supposed to have great highlights. Yet there are rare moments when a player’s highlight reel is worth calling attention to even under a standard of high expectations.
The senior highlight tape for Archer offensive lineman E.J. Price fits that criteria. He committed to UGA this spring, but then de-committed in late June. Price still has UGA as his leader over Auburn as the Georgia state playoffs move into the second round.
Price was at the UGA-Kentucky game two weeks ago when every other 4-star recruit and Under Armour or Army All-American descended upon the Alabama-LSU game.
His senior film begins with the phrase “Welcome to IHOP: The pancake tape” as the title screen. That label accurately depicts what is to come. Mrs. Butterworth hasn’t seen as many pancakes in 2015 as Price has served up.
Here are a few talking points (his highlights appear below):
- Clip #1: Price goes full road grader and levels a poor linebacker. The senior then notices a pile-up and hoists a defender off the top of the stack like he has a spatula.
- Clip #2: Price jackhammers his man into the ground and stands over him. This takes place after he blows his assignment off the ball by five yards.
- Clip #3: Price blocks his man and then sees another defender as his works his way to the second level. The defensive tackle was in pursuit before Price removes his feet from the ground and sends him reeling.
- Clip #4: One defensive end + one E.J. Price = IHOP. He then motors downfield and shields a new defender from his quarterback on a scramble run which went for a score.
- Clip #5: Price put his man on roller skates and drives him nine (nine!) yards off the ball before putting him on his back.
That’s just the first 75 seconds. The first 14 clips are all pancakes. There’s even a double pancake of the same player on the same play.
“The biggest thing with him this year is his downfield blocking and hustle and effort is there,” Archer coach Andy Dyer said. “He’s really running downfield giving great effort. Any time an offensive lineman is doing that he is really playing. He’s really grown a lot as a player and we are really proud of his progress.”
Price transferred to Archer from Central Gwinnett. He started the season at guard while learning the offense. When he had the scheme down, he moved over to tackle and has been there ever since.
“What gets us excited about E.J. is we are seeing him continue to progress as a football player,” Dyer said.
The Tigers face McEachern on Friday night in a game the whole state will have an eye on.
Check out Price’s senior highlight reel below. They pretty much set the standard of a dominating highlight reel for any highly-rated offensive lineman going forward.
Jeff Sentell covers UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges.