UGA commitment Elijah Holyfield tweeted out a picture on Wednesday of a letter that was mailed to him at Woodward Academy.
It is “supposedly” from a Spalding High School fan. Spalding (10-1) faces Woodward Academy (11-0) this week in the Georgia high school state football playoffs.
— Elijah Holyfield (@EH_taught_me) November 18, 2015
There are three key things about this missive:
- It said No. 10 Spalding will “KO” Holyfield and that’s a reference to his famous father. Evander Holyfield is one of the icons of boxing.
- His last name is not spelled accurately.
- The letter’s only return address is “Jaguars.” That’s the nickname of Spalding High School’s athletic teams.
Without going CSI DawgNation on this topic, we will be brief. History tells us the source of this letter can be traced to three suspects:
- A Spalding fan or booster did this to get into Holyfield’s head and take his focus off the game.
- A Woodward Academy fan or booster did this to inspire even greater effort from Holyfield and his team on Friday night.
- A Spalding fan or booster actually believes they will stun Holyfield and the No. 3 team in Class AAAA this week. They want to bring attention to their under-the-radar team.
We seriously can’t make this stuff up. The official DawgNation prediction is this will not end well for the team represented by that return address.
Jeff Sentell covers UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges.