The Mark Richt era is over for UGA.
According to a statement released from the school, it was a “mutual parting of ways,” although numerous reports say Richt was fired.
DawgNation immediately reached out to all 17 of UGA’s current commitments for their immediate reaction.
UGA commits react to Richt news
Darion Anderson, WR, Houston County — “No comment on this.”
Chris Barnes, OL, Lee County — “It was a devastating blow to me and my family. We are still trying to decide what we are going to do. Sad day in DawgNation.”
Ben Cleveland, OL, Stephens County: “I have 100 percent faith in UGA bringing in the right man. I’ve committed to the program and will always be a Dawg. Gotta stay positive.” (via Twitter)
(2017 commit) Deejay Dallas, ATH, Glynn Academy — “I have to respectfully decline that question.”
Randrecous Davis, WR, Mays — “I don’t even know what to say right now.”
Jaleel Laguins, LB, Oconee County — “I will not be answering any questions at this time.” (via Twitter)
(2017 commit) Devonta Smith, WR, Amite — “It’s just something I have to sit down and talk to my parents about. It really shocked me.”
Tyrique McGhee, DB, Peach County — “I committed to the school and the program. I have much respect and appreciation for Coach Richt.”
Devwah Whaley, RB, Beaumont Central (Tex.) — “Shocked right now.” (Whaley also stated he was still committed to UGA and wanted to wait to see who the new head coach will be and learn about who will be on the new staff before making any decisions regarding his commitment.)
Charlie Woerner, WR, Rabun County — “I’m still very committed to the UGA program.”
Javon Wims, WR, Hinds Community College — “UGA is still my dream school and I’m still committed I still look forward 2 being in Athens next season”
Chad Clay, DB, Peachtree Ridge — “I’m just shocked. I didn’t see it coming.”
DawgNation recruiting reporter Jeff Sentell contributed to this report.
- What went wrong for Mark Richt at Georgia
- Mark Richt’s dismissal was long in the works
- UGA moves ‘all about Kirby Smart’
- What does Mark Richt news mean for Jacob Eason?
- Richt’s firing confirms what many believed: It was time for a change
- Leading candidates to replace Richt at Georgia
- What do recruits think about Kirby Smart to UGA?
- Current Georgia player offers a message for Eason
- With Richt out, UGA’s next step is to get Smart
- Most of UGA’s coaches pulled off the recruiting trail
- Saban on Richt: ‘I hate to see these kinds of things’
- Current UGA players react to end of the Mark Richt era
- Richt’s former players ‘surprised’ by the news
- Hiring Mark Richt remains Vince Dooley’s proudest achievement
- UGA should think twice before hiring Kirby Smart
- National media reacts to Mark Richt being ousted at UGA
- Jeremy Pruitt with recruit Mecole Hardman’s mother when news broke
- UGA targets react to Mark Richt’s firing
- Greg McGarity’s career will be defined by his first major hire
- A small vigil held outside of Butts-Mehre for Richt