ORLANDO, Fla. — The Under Armour All-America week offers the chance to visit with both the top players in the 2019 class but also the best players in the 2020 class as well. 5-star UGA pledge Broderick Jones was one of the top underclassmen players invited to take part in the “Future 50” event this week as well.
But that was a while ago. Jones, who would stand out as an impressive tackle in the 2019 class, has seen his stock rise since he chose Georgia. When he made that pledge, he was rated as the nation’s No. 6 OT prospect for 2020 on the 247Sports Composite.
His mood this week was upbeat. It offers up every reason that a bright future is still ahead of the program. Especially at a vital spot like offensive tackle.
“I feel pretty amazing about Georgia right now,” Jones said.
He’s now the nation’s No. 3 OT prospect and the No. 25 overall recruit in this class. Jones has said in the past that line coach Sam Pittman thinks of him as a guy that might be ready to slide into the playing rotation when he arrives in 2020.
When he does, the name Andrew Thomas comes up. Thomas will continue to see his draft stock rise and Jones is the type of talent that could one day off-set that. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Jones make the same type of impact that Thomas did for the Bulldogs as a freshman.
That’s even though that’s a lot of hype to place on the young man and the fact that the Bulldogs will have a lot more elite tackles in the program than the lesser number of SEC-ready players when Thomas arrived with the class of 2017.
What Broderick Jones said at The Future 50
Due to his status as a long-standing UGA commit, DawgNation took the time to record a brief 1-on-1 interview with Jones.
He comes off to many members of the media as an engaging guy and a very effective communicator. Jones is always smiling.
Is there a flip chance there? That’s always a possibility with young people, but Jones continues to strike me as a very solid pledge to the Bulldogs at this time. He said as much in the DawgNation interview that is featured above this blog.
What else did we discuss? Well, hit that play button for his thoughts on:
- How many times did he use the term “great” or “amazing” to describe UGA in one thought?
- Which two programs are the only ones at all with any chance of flipping him from UGA?
- Does he plan to sign early and enroll early in the January of 2020?
- What’s the message from offensive line coach Sam Pittman?
- What does he feel about the 2020 recruiting class at Georgia?
Check out the DawgNation All-American coverage this week
It is a busy time for the recruiting beat here at DawgNation. We’ve got coverage in the can from Orlando and are now on the way to San Antonio as this blog posts.
Here is what is on the site so far from the Under Armour All-America week and the All-American Bowl events in San Antonio.
- Live updates from the Future 50 check-in in Orlando
- Live updates from the Under Armour 2019 All-America game “Media Day”
- How the Justin Fields storyline affects UGA recruiting right now
- What’s the latest with UGA and elite WR target George Pickens?
- WATCH: Nation’s No. 3 safety Lewis Cine describes his love for UGA
- WATCH: 5-star signee Nakobe Dean is “coming to work” at Georgia
- Elite South Florida CB target Kaiir Elam hasn’t made up his mind yet
- What happened late with UGA and elite RBs Noah Cain and Trey Sanders?
- UGA recruiting: The need to know for the 2019 Under Armour All-American game