Who’s up next?
UGA has 16 commitments for the Class of 2016 and three for 2017. Here are 5 guys who could commit next to UGA.
6 names to watch
- 4-star Elijah Holyfield, RB, Woodward Academy (Atlanta)
- Decision: Sept. 4
- The 411: There are those out there who consider this to a be a two-team race, but I’m betting he will name UGA this week barring any last-minute reversals. The other top contenders are Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee. UGA wins this one and it won’t need to go to the judges’ scorecards. He’s also already made his secret commitment to his favored school.
- 5-star Marlon Davidson, DE, Greenville (Greenville, Ala.)
- Decision: Sept. 4
- The 411: Davidson really likes UGA, but his brother played for Auburn and still serves as an analyst on that staff. UGA (with the Tracy Rocker connection) could be his No. 2. He should commit to Auburn because it is early in his season and the depth chart sets up nicely. UGA’s best chance comes by working him over the long haul.
- 5-star Mecole Hardman, Jr., ATH Elbert County (Elberton)
- Decision: Approximately 1-2 months
- The 411: This won’t pay off until Signing Day. Hardman’s perceived leaders are UGA and Tennessee. Keep in mind he’ll silently commit and won’t reveal that school until Signing Day. I’ve got a hunch from observing him during camps he’ll choose UGA. That’s the same vibe I picked up while watching how Jaleel Laguins acted around UGA’s coaches.
- 3-star Tremayne Anchrum, OL, McEachern
- Decision: Oct. 12
- The 411: Anchrum is said to favor UGA, but I’m not sure if he’s a “take” on UGA’s board at this time with Willie Allen, Terrance Davis, Logan Dickerson and E.J. Price still in play. I feel UGA rates those guys higher than Anchrum. UGA already has 3 OLs committed for 2016, too.
- 5-star WR Kyle Davis, Archer (Lawrenceville, GA)
- Decision: Oct. 23
- The 411: I think it comes down to UGA and Tennessee. If pressed, I’d say he chooses to play in Neyland over Sanford Stadium. Gut feeling. Why? Georgia already has commitments from 3-4 receivers depending on how it lines up Charlie Woerner. If UGA felt good about its chances with Davis, why would it still be going after so many other receivers?
- 4-star WR Tre Nixon, Viera (Melbourne, Fla.)
- Decision: By November
- The 411: The speedy Nixon has been laser timed at under 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He recently told the AJC he wants to make his commitment sometime in the next two months. It has long been a match race between Penn State and UGA and nothing presently has altered that. I’d still give Penn State the edge here, but what happens with Davis can help or hurt UGA’s chances.
Another name to consider: McEachern WR Tyler Simmons
Note: This list aims to identify recruits who will decide in 2015, and not the UGA targets expected to commit in January.