The most popular Bulldog on the 2019 football team now has an NFL home. After not being drafted in the 2020 NFL Draft, Blankenship quickly found a home with the Indianapolis Colts, according to the NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.
The #Colts are signing Georgia kicker Rodrigo Blankenship, source said. A new home for Hot Rod.
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) April 25, 2020
The Colts struggled with the kicker position in 2019, as future Hall of Famer Adam Vinatieri made a career-worst 68 percent of his kicks. The Colts parted ways with Vinatieri this off-season, leaving an opening for Blankenship.
Blankenship started his career as a walk-on at Georgia. But during the 2016 season he emerged as Georgia’s starting kicker and made a number of huge field goals. After hitting a game-winner against Kentucky, Blankenship became a viral sensation thanks to a post-game interview and his famous rec specs.
Soon after, everyone began to respect the specs. He made a couple of significant field goals in a 20-19 win over Notre Dame in 2017. After the game, Blankenship got to break the news to his teammates after the win that he was now on scholarship.
— Georgia Football (@GeorgiaFootball) September 10, 2017
“The Notre Dame game when we played them away. That was crazy,” Georgia running back D’Andre Swift said. “That’s when Rodrigo got his scholarship and just seeing everyone be so happy for Rod. That’s the brotherhood.”
The big kicks from Blankenship didn’t stop there, as he hit multiple 50-plus yard field goals during the 2018 College Football Playoff.
Blankenship is one of the more beloved players in recent Georgia history as well as being one of the most accomplished. He converted on 27 of his 33 field goal attempts last season and ended up winning the Lou Groza Award, which goes to the nation’s top kicker.
“What Rodrigo has done, and overcome, is just a story for the ages,” Smart said after the Texas A&M game. “To be a walk-on, to not get a scholarship, to continue to work, get a scholarship, and continue to grind, and be as consistent as he has been in some of the toughest conditions this year that could ask a kicker to kick in.”
“He’s just been tremendous. And he’s really become a weapon for us. Thank goodness. He’s really become a weapon for us. He’s done a great job.”
Fuel to the fire…
— Rodrigo Blankenship (@RodTheKicker3) April 25, 2020
More Georgia football stories from the 2020 NFL Draft
- J.R. Reed lands with the Jacksonville Jaguars as undrafted free agent
- Tae Crowder taken as Mr. Irrelevant by the New York Giants in 2020 NFL Draft
- Kirby Smart calls out opposing coaches for saying ‘it’s better to not go to the SEC because it’s too tough’
- One of the Rolling Stones most beloved songs could’ve easily been about D’Andre Swift
- Solomon Kindley drafted by Miami Dolphins in 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Detroit Lions select D’Andre Swift in second round of 2020 NFL Draft
- On the clock: Jake Fromm still waiting entering 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Arkansas shares awesome video of Sam Pittman celebrating Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson selections
- Rodrigo Blankenship: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- J.R. Reed: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- Social media strongly questions D’Andre Swift snub from first round of 2020 NFL Draft
- Tennessee Titans select Isaiah Wilson in first round of 2020 NFL Draft
- New York Giants select Andrew Thomas with the No. 4 pick in 2020 NFL Draft
- What social media is saying about Andrew Thomas being the top offensive tackle in 2020 NFL Draft