Charlie Woerner became the sixth Georgia Bulldog off the board in the 2020 NFL Draft as Woerner was taken by the San Francisco 49ers took him in the sixth round with pick No. 190.
Woerner played tight end for the Bulldogs over the past four seasons after signing with Kirby Smart’s first class as the Georgia head coach.
— Georgia Football (@GeorgiaFootball) April 25, 2020
Woerner didn’t have a ton of pass-catching production at Georgia, as he caught just nine passes for 78 yards and a single touchdown last year. He started every game last season for the Bulldogs this past season and played in 54 career games for the Bulldogs.
However, Woerner is well-regarded as a blocker and should help the 49ers in the run game in that aspect. Woerner was a co-winner of the Frank Sinkwich Award, which goes to the toughest player on team.
— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) April 25, 2020
Woerner is also the nephew of former Georgia standout Scott Woerner. Charlie Woerner was actually drafted higher than Isaac Nauta, who the Detroit Lions took in the seventh round of the 2019 NFL Draft.
Georgia tight ends coach Todd Hartley was very excited about the selection of Woerner, praising his former tight end.
Could NOT have happened to a better human being than this kid right here!! I am SO PROUD of you Chuck…and there’s is NO DOUBT that I am a better Coach and Man from having coached you!! Continue to “Let Your Light Shine” all the way out in Cali…MUCH LOVE!! #TETuff💪🏻 #FeedThe🔥 pic.twitter.com/KAkJD7bSLv
— Todd Hartley (@coach_thartley) April 25, 2020
“You were a man of hard work. I know how hard you trained to wait for this moment,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said of Woerner. “You’re the ultimate team player. One of the toughest players I’ve ever seen.”
An incredible leader on and off the field — thank you, Charlie Woerner !! pic.twitter.com/bnA5Zm3DqT
— Coach Kirby Smart (@KirbySmartUGA) April 25, 2020
“Charlie Woerner is outstanding in the blocking game,” NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said of the pick. “He’s also a phenomenal special teams players. He’s gonna have a role as someone who can block and cover kicks.”
Woerner is the third Bulldog to be taken on Saturday. Solomon Kindley went in the fourth round to the Miami Dolphins, while Jake Fromm was selected by the Buffalo Bills in the fifth round.
More Georgia football stories from the 2020 NFL Draft
- Kirby Smart calls out opposing coaches for saying ‘it’s better to not go to the SEC because it’s too tough’
- One of the Rolling Stones most beloved songs could’ve easily been about D’Andre Swift
- Solomon Kindley drafted by Miami Dolphins in 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Detroit Lions select D’Andre Swift in second round of 2020 NFL Draft
- On the clock: Jake Fromm still waiting entering 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Arkansas shares awesome video of Sam Pittman celebrating Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson selections
- Rodrigo Blankenship: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- J.R. Reed: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- Social media strongly questions D’Andre Swift snub from first round of 2020 NFL Draft