Georgia had to wait all the way until the literal end of the draft to have its first defensive player taken, but the New York Giants made Tae Crowder a draft pick, as they took him with the final pick of the draft with pick No. 255.
Crowder joins Andrew Thomas in New York, who the Giants took with the No. 4 pick in the draft.
Georgia ended up with seven players taken in the 2020 NFL Draft, with six coming on the offensive side of the ball and Crowder being the lone defender of the group.
A number of Georgia players such as J.R. Reed, Rodrigo Blankenship and Tyler Clark were not drafted but will almost certainly find homes as undrafted free agents. The likes of Natrez Patrick and David Andrews are some recent Georgia Bulldogs who found NFL homes despite not being drafted.
— Richard LeCounte III (@LilEasy_35) April 25, 2020
Crowder came to Georgia as 2-star recruit and someone who bounced around from multiple positions in his time at Georgia. But during his senior campaign, he became a key member of the Georgia defense.
As a senior, Crowder had 62 tackles, 4.0 for a loss. He also had a scoop-and-score touchdown against Tennessee.
Crowder was college roommates with Chicago Bears defender Roquan Smith. In addition to joining Thomas, Crowder will get to play with fellow Bulldogs Lorenzo Carter and Deandre Baker with the Giants.
After Crowder’s selections, Georgia coach Kirby Smart shared some words about what. the linebacker meant to the Georgia program.
“I’m very thankful you came to me and said ‘Coach, I want to keep running the ball with the scout team to give you a good look, but I want to train with the linebackers too,” Smart said.
— Coach Kirby Smart (@KirbySmartUGA) April 25, 2020
This is the second time in program history that Georgia has produced a Mr. Irrelevant, the distinction given to the last player picked in the draft, as Donald Chumley was the final selection of the 1995 draft.
Georgia’s seven players drafted is one player short of the school record.
More Georgia football stories from the 2020 NFL Draft
- Kirby Smart calls out opposing coaches for saying ‘it’s better to not go to the SEC because it’s too tough’
- One of the Rolling Stones most beloved songs could’ve easily been about D’Andre Swift
- Solomon Kindley drafted by Miami Dolphins in 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Detroit Lions select D’Andre Swift in second round of 2020 NFL Draft
- On the clock: Jake Fromm still waiting entering 2020 NFL Draft fourth round
- Arkansas shares awesome video of Sam Pittman celebrating Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson selections
- Rodrigo Blankenship: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- J.R. Reed: What to know about the 2020 NFL Draft prospect
- Social media strongly questions D’Andre Swift snub from first round of 2020 NFL Draft
- Tennessee Titans select Isaiah Wilson in first round of 2020 NFL Draft
- New York Giants select Andrew Thomas with the No. 4 pick in 2020 NFL Draft
- What social media is saying about Andrew Thomas being the top offensive tackle in 2020 NFL Draft