The Georgia Bulldogs leapfrogged Alabama in the College Football Playoff rankings last week. And that was before they beat a top-15 Auburn team on the road.
However, the No. 4 spot is as high as the Bulldogs are able to climb at the moment, as that is where they landed in the Week 13 College Football Playoff rankings. The Bulldogs are still the highest-rated one-loss team, as the only teams ranked higher than Georgia are LSU at No. 1, Ohio State at No. 2 and Clemson at No. 3. All three teams are unbeaten.
The Bulldogs have been able to remain so high because of their strong resume wins over the likes of No. 11 Florida, No. 15 Auburn and No. 16 Notre Dame. Alabama — which lost starting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa to a season-ending hip injury — came in at No. 5.
Should LSU beat Arkansas this week, the Bulldogs would face the top-ranked Tigers in the SEC Championship game in Atlanta on Dec. 7. A win on that day would likely secure Georgia’s spot in the College Football Playoff, while a loss likely eliminates the Bulldogs.
Georgia ranked No. 4 in both the AP Poll and Coaches Poll this week. The Bulldogs will face Texas A&M. All three of Texas A&M’s defeats have come against teams ranked in the College Football Playoff rankings.
“They have an immense amount of talent,” Georgia coach Kirby Smart said. “As far as their receiving corps will be one of the best we’ve played against. They have a total of eight or nine starters back on offense. Really, basically, every position outside tight end and a running back is coming back for their team. And when you watch them on tape, it really jumps off the film at you.”
The Bulldogs and Aggies kickoff at 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS. You can see the rest of the College Football Playoff rankings for Week 13 below.
College Football Playoff rankings for Week 13
- Ohio State
- Penn State
- Notre Dame
- Boise State
- Oklahoma State
- Iowa State
- Southern Cal
- App State
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Kendall Milton: Georgia RB commit has an All-American week both on and off the field
- Todd Gurley leads Los Angeles Rams to win, surpasses another career milestone
- WATCH: Georgia newcomers were difference-makers in 21-14 highlight video
- Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher: Aggies aim to match Georgia ‘physicality and toughness’
- Even as Georgia offense struggles, D’Andre Swift continues to show why he’s one of the best in the country
- Georgia football podcast: UGA has a lot to celebrate after beating Auburn
- Georgia football freshmen report: UGA 21, Auburn 14
- Texas A&M will get a chance to play spoiler for Georgia and the Bulldogs know it