ATHENS — Georgia senior cornerback Malkom Parrish, a two-year starter, was not present during the media viewing period of Wednesday’s preseason practice.
There was no immediate word on whether Parrish has an injury, or if there was another reason for his absence. Parrish has been working first-team cornerback all preseason, as he did in the spring, alongside returning starter Deandre Baker.
In what may have been related, senior Aaron Davis was not working with the stars during the viewing period. Davis, basically a three-year starter, has been working first-team at star, with the idea that he would slide back to safety if someone else was tapped to start at star.
But Davis appeared to be with the cornerbacks on Wednesday. Davis has played every position in the secondary during his career.
Those working at star included freshman Deangelo Gibbs, sophomore Tyrique McGhee, junior Jarvis Wilson and senior walk-on Tim Hill.
Some other notes and observations:
- David Pollack, the Georgia legend and now ESPN commentator, was at practice. He spent some time hanging with former teammate Odell Thurman, now an intern with the UGA strength and conditioning staff.
- Freshman tailback D’Andre Swift was not seen at practice.
- The first-team offensive line was the same as it’s been this week: LT Isaiah Wynn, LG Pat Allen, C Lamont Gaillard, RG Solomon Kindley, RT Andrew Thomas.
- The second-team line was also unchanged: LT Dyshon Sims, LG Isaiah Wilson, C Sean Fogarty, RG Kendall Baker, RT Ben Cleveland.
- In passing drills, junior college transfer Ahkil Crumpton had the first drop of the preseason – at least when the media has been watching. Jacob Eason’s pass was a bit in front of Crumpton, who got his hands on it but couldn’t haul it in. Otherwise, Crumpton has appeared very sure-handed.
- Walk-on receiver Steven Van Tiflin had a nifty one-handed catch while reaching behind him.