ATHENS — Georgia players found out the news about Mark Richt just a few minutes before the rest of the world did.
It came via a mass text message from a team staffer, who was passing it along from Richt, according to a player. It said that the bowl game would be Richt’s last game.
“Then a few minutes later I saw the news blowing up on Twitter,” said the player, who did not wish to be quoted.
A team meeting is planned for Sunday night, but that was already scheduled. The team’s bowl destination is unknown at this point, and won’t be official until next week.
It will be a chance to send Richt off with a second straight 10-win season.
“He has all of our love and respect,” the player said. “We’re gonna play hard for him.”
- What went wrong for Mark Richt at Georgia
- Mark Richt’s dismissal was long in the works
- UGA moves ‘all about Kirby Smart’
- What does Mark Richt news mean for Jacob Eason?
- Richt’s firing confirms what many believed: It was time for a change
- Leading candidates to replace Richt at Georgia
- What do recruits think about Kirby Smart to UGA?
- Current Georgia player offers a message for Eason
- With Richt out, UGA’s next step is to get Smart
- Most of UGA’s coaches pulled off the recruiting trail
- Saban on Richt: ‘I hate to see these kinds of things’
- Current UGA players react to end of the Mark Richt era
- Richt’s former players ‘surprised’ by the news
- Hiring Mark Richt remains Vince Dooley’s proudest achievement
- UGA should think twice before hiring Kirby Smart
- National media reacts to Mark Richt being ousted at UGA
- Jeremy Pruitt with recruit Mecole Hardman’s mother when news broke
- UGA commits react to the firing of Mark Richt
- UGA targets react to Mark Richt’s firing
- Greg McGarity’s career will be defined by his first major hire
- A small vigil held outside of Butts-Mehre for Richt