Mark Richt has a lot more support among Georgia’s fan base than many would believe, if at least one (admittedly unscientific) poll is to be believed.
This reporter posted a simple poll on Twitter on Saturday afternoon, nearly three hours after Georgia finished the regular season with a win at Georgia Tech. The question: Do you want Richt to return to Georgia in 2016 or not?
As of Sunday morning, 77 percent of those who responded said they wanted Richt to return. That was with just over 6,000 responses.
The caveat: There is no way to verify how many responders were non-Georgia fans, or whether demographically it represents an accurate reflection of the fan base. It’s just a poll of fans on Twitter.
Still, considering the perceived unrest of the Georgia fan base, and the fact that social media is known for slanting negative, the overwhelming response in favor of keeping Richt is notable. So does the fact that the very initial response when the poll was announced on Saturday was around 75 percent in Richt’s favor, and the number has stayed fairly consistent.
Here is the tweet poll, which is set to end around 5:45 p.m. on Sunday:
OK, straight up poll question, Georgia fans: Do you want Mark Richt return in 2016 or not?
— Seth Emerson (@SethEmersonAJC) November 28, 2015
- What went wrong for Mark Richt at Georgia
- Mark Richt’s dismissal was long in the works
- UGA moves ‘all about Kirby Smart’
- What does Mark Richt news mean for Jacob Eason?
- Richt’s firing confirms what many believed: It was time for a change
- Leading candidates to replace Richt at Georgia
- What do recruits think about Kirby Smart to UGA?
- Current Georgia player offers a message for Eason
- With Richt out, UGA’s next step is to get Smart
- Most of UGA’s coaches pulled off the recruiting trail
- Saban on Richt: ‘I hate to see these kinds of things’
- Current UGA players react to end of the Mark Richt era
- Richt’s former players ‘surprised’ by the news
- Hiring Mark Richt remains Vince Dooley’s proudest achievement
- UGA should think twice before hiring Kirby Smart
- National media reacts to Mark Richt being ousted at UGA
- Jeremy Pruitt with recruit Mecole Hardman’s mother when news broke
- UGA commits react to the firing of Mark Richt
- UGA targets react to Mark Richt’s firing
- Greg McGarity’s career will be defined by his first major hire
- A small vigil held outside of Butts-Mehre for Richt