Tre’ McKitty injury puts further strain on new-look Georgia football offense
It seems like the Georgia offense just cannot catch a break. Every week it seems to be seeing another projected contributor go down.
Two weeks ago, it was Dominick Blaylock tearing his ACL. Last week it was quarterback Jamie Newman opting out of the 2020 season. Then on Monday, DawgNation confirmed that Tre McKitty had his knee scoped and his status for the season-opener is now very much in doubt.
Georgia head coach Kirby Smart raved about what the graduate transfer tight end had done so far after arriving as a graduate transfer from Florida State.
“I’ve been really pleased with Tre’ McKitty,” Smart said. “He’s tough, he’s physical, he works, he blocks, he catches, he does a good job.”
Georgia must replace its top two tight ends from last year as Eli Wolf and Charlie Woerner are now in the NFL. McKitty was one of the high-profile additions at the position, as he brought proven production with a combined 49 receptions over the past two seasons.
In addition to McKitty, Georgia also landed 5-star tight end Darnell Washington as a member of the 2020 recruiting class.
Prior to the McKitty news, Smart did say he felt good about what the Bullogs have at the position.
“We’ve got good depth there at tight end,” Smart said. “We’re trying to figure out what each one’s skill set is as we endeavor in this offense and try to figure out the best way to use those guys.”
With Georgia having just over two weeks before the first game much about the offense and how it will look is still very much unknown. The quarterback situation seems to between JT Daniels and D’Wan Mathis, with Daniels seemingly having the edge.
There’s been a lot of positive buzz around running backs Zamir White and James Cook. But with the wide receiver position, after George Pickens it’s very much unknown who steps up. With McKitty’s status in doubt, the same can be said for the tight end position.
DawgNation’s Connor Riley discusses the latest on the Georgia offense and much more in the video below.
Among some of the other topics discussed:
- The latest on the Georgia quarterback battle/
- What Georgia is getting in wide receiver commit Jackson Meeks/
- What the Jamie Newman decision means for the future of the Georgia quarterback room/
- How Georgia will start the season, with the season starting on Sept. 26 against Arkansas.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Maason Smith: 9 things you need to know now about the elite 5-star DT
- Buffalo GM: How Jake Fromm made Bills roster; similar to Georgia success
- DN90: One of college football’s top players congratulated UGA’s latest commit
- Multiple Georgia football assistants mentioned as candidates for Southern Miss opening
- Surging Alabama WR prospect Jackson Meeks chooses UGA
- Why Georgia football has quarterback competition, not controversy
- Travon Walker, Tyson Campbell show why defense is UGA’s strength, and how the offense can catch up
- WATCH: Georgia tailback James Cook positioned for breakout if focus matches talent
- What we would’ve been looking forward to had Georgia football played Virginia