Sports Illustrated names Uga college football’s best mascot
Uga, Georgia’s English Bulldog mascot, is one of the most iconic parts of the Georgia brand. He has his own doghouse on the Sanford Stadium field and receives constant attention throughout the game from television cameras and fans.
And now, Uga has received quite the honor. He has been named the top mascot in all of college football according to Sports Illustrated.
“Georgia’s line of pure white English bulldogs, now on No. 10, has been a staple of the mascot landscape since 1956,” Sports Illustrated’s Torrey Hart wrote. “Though every new dog is added to the “Uga” line—Uga X is the latest—each also has its own unique name, is given a custom-made jersey and a varsity letter, and resides in an air-conditioned on-field doghouse.”
Uga beat out some real heavyweights, as the likes of Ralphie the Buffalo (Colorado), Puddles the Duck (Oregon) and LSU’s Mike The Tiger all also made the top 10.
Bevo, Texas’ live longhorn bull, came in at No. 4 in the rankings. Bevo and Uga created national headlines at the Sugar Bowl, when Bevo charged at Uga and his handler as the dog had come by to take pictures prior to the game. Fortunately, no one was hurt in the incident.
It’s already starting to get real for the mascots. pic.twitter.com/RA4X89WhhS
— Ben Basden (@CoachBasden) January 2, 2019
On Monday, Georgia defensive back Mark Webb was asked if had any special memories or encounters with Uga. And the junior defensive back recalled the first time he met Georgia’s very good boy.
“The first time I saw Uga, was my freshman year. We had to take a picture and I didn’t know if he was a friendly dog or not, but he ended up being a friendly one.”
Georgia’s first home game this season will be on Sept. 7, as the Bulldogs host Murray State. Uga has made it to a number of road games, as he actually resides in Savannah, Ga. during the week. The first game will actually be against Vanderbilt on Aug. 31.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- New position coaches Todd Hartley and Charlton Warren share similar traits to Kirby Smart
- REEL TALK on UGA commit Josh Braun: What does a former NCAA All-American see on the film?
- ESPN’s ranking of Jake Fromm shows national opinion still split on Georgia quarterback
- Following first scrimmage, Kirby Smart still looking for more consistency from Georgia defensive line
- Florida Gators ‘feel good’ about waiver request for ex-UGA LB Brenton Cox to play this year
- Georgia football podcast: George Pickens former coach says UGA fans ‘aint seen anything yet’
- 5 takeaways, Georgia Scrimmage One: Zamir White, George Pickens, Nolan Smith