ORLANDO, Fla., — Zach Evans was originally supposed to announce his college decision on Thursday night. But he told reporters after the Under Armour All-American game that he knew the night before that wasn’t going to be the case.
Evans delayed his college announcement plans once again. When asked if he had signed a letter of intent, Evans said he could not answer that just yet. After the game, Evans did say that he had not sent in the letter of intent.
When asked why he didn’t make his commitment tonight, he was vague as well.
“Everything that is going on with the schools, coaching staffs and stuff like that,” Evans said.
Evans is ranked as the No. 14 prospect in the country and the No. 1 running back as well according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. It was announced earlier on Thursday that Evans would once again be backing off his plans to announce.
Evans did reiterate that he is only talking to one school, but he declined to reveal which school that was.
The running back from Houston did say that he talked to Georgia coach Kirby Smart a few days ago, and did give praise to Georgia for its 26-14 win over Baylor on Wednesday night.
“Kudos to them. I want to tell coach McGee good job last night,” Evans said. “I saw Zamir White score. I want to tell coach Smart good work out there. George Pickens, y’all already know best freshman.”
During the Under Armour All-American Game, Evans gave an interview and apologized for his behavior.
“I want to first apologize to all of my college coaches and apologize for the things they are hearing,” Evans said. “I am really a good kid.”
Evans had indicated earlier that he had signed with a school and that he would be enrolling early. It still not known if the latter will be the case, as classes at Georgia start next week.
After the game, in which Evans was named MVP for his team after finishing with 11 carries for 64 yards and a touchdown, Evans was chatting with Georgia linebacker signee Mekhail Sherman.
“I told that boy stop playing and come to the G,” Sherman said of his conversation with Evans.
Georgia did land one 5-star signee on the night, as 5-star athlete Darnell Washington announced his commitment to the Bulldogs. With Washington in the class, Georgia moved up to No. 3 in the 247Sports Composite rankings.
Georgia quarterback Carson Beck did share a picture of himself, Evans, Washington and Kelee Ringo and added a caption with two checkmarks. Ringo is set to announce his decision on Saturday at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio.
— CB (@carsonbeck01) January 3, 2020
Zach Evans explains why he delayed his announcement
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Theo Johnson offered up an opinion that says a lot about 5-star target Darnell Washington and Georgia tight ends coach Todd Hartley
- Arian Smith: The day after the big “L” from LSU, he gave Georgia a recruiting win
- WATCH: Brodrick Jones and Jalen Carter reps highlight the Day 3 one-on-one battles
- WATCH: Marcus Rosemy, Arian Smith explain what they’re bringing to the Georgia football wide receiver room
- How Georgia football ended up missing on Tank Bigsby, Theo Johnson and some of its top targets
- PHOTOS: Check out the Georgia football recruits on Day 2 of Under Armour All-American Bowl practices
- Elite RB signee Kendall Milton chooses to report earlier than expected to UGA
- WATCH: Georgia signee Arian Smith wins “Fastest Man” challenge at Under Armour
- Even before hiring Matt Luke, Chad Lindberg knew he was ‘the guy’ for Georgia football
- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger: All-American OL still feels ‘comfortable’ as a Georgia commit
- Incoming freshman Jalen Carter feels he can play a Tyler Clark-type role as a freshman
- What we learned about Georgia football recruits, targets at Under Armour All-American game media day
- Dontae Manning contrasts Georgia football and Oregon ahead of Jan. 2 announcement
- All-American week snapshot: Which UGA signees and targets play where
- Jordan Burch: Why Georgia didn’t even crack his final 3
- 5-star RB Zach Evans shares ‘strongest connection’ and scope of the decision before Jan. 2 announcement
- Even Mekhail Sherman was surprised when Kirby Smart, Georgia football flipped Jermaine Burton
- Broderick Jones: The 5-star OT details why he is still committed to Georgia