The coach of one of Georgia’s best units and one of the best recruiters in the country has received a new title on the Bulldogs coaching staff.
In addition to being the running backs coach in Athens, Dell McGee is now the assistant head coach under Kirby Smart, according to the 2018 Georgia Football Media Guide released by the team on Tuesday.
McGee and the rest of Georgia’s returning assistant coaches received big raises during the offseason, and now McGee takes another step forward on the staff. He has coached the legendary Bulldogs running back tandem Nick Chubb and Sony Michel while also being a crucial part of bringing the likes of top prospects Justin Fields and Zamir White to Athens.
2018 Roster Notes
The release of the media guide also tied up some (some, not all) loose ends in the personnel area for the Bulldogs, at least for now.
- Freshman James Cook is not listed on the team’s roster, despite Kirby Smart confirming Monday that the running back is on campus. A reason for this could be that the media guide was finished before the team had official word on Cook’s status. Cook is also not on the team’s roster online, but since- transferred offensive lineman Pat Allen still is, so we may just be waiting on logistics to work themselves out.
- Sophomore Deangelo Gibbs is on the roster. The safety missed the second half of last season and the postseason for undisclosed reasons. He was also not enrolled in classes during the spring.
- Wide receiver Michael Chigbu, who would be entering his senior season, is not on the roster. Smart had said during spring practice that Chigbu’s long-term status on the team was still being determined because of injuries. As of now it looks like he won’t be playing again in Athens
- Senior Natrez Patrick is on the roster. Smart has said that the linebacker has done everything the team and school has asked of him since his arrest and treatment over the winter.
- Frank Martin, the previous creator of the weekly pregame cinematic videos for the team as well as many videos during practices and after games, returns to the program as the video coordinator after a year away. That means more of these: