Todd McShay, Mel Kiper Jr. have two Georgia players going in the first two rounds of 2019 NFL Draft
The 2019 NFL Draft will take place this month, as the first round is set for April 25. The second and third rounds will be on April 26. And based on ESPN’s Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr., two of the most well-respected NFL draft guru’s, only two Georgia players will be taken in either of the first two rounds.
McShay and Kiper Jr. published a two-round mock draft on Wednesday. Both analysts had cornerback Deandre Baker going in the first round. McShay had Baker slotted to the Philadelphia Eagles with pick No. 26, while McShay had Baker going one pick later to the Oakland Raiders with pick No. 27.
Baker has pretty consistently been mocked to go in the 20s of the upcoming NFL draft. A number of teams in that area including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs have been mentioned as possible landing spots for the 2018 Jim Thorpe Award winner.
But after Baker, it could be a while before another Georgia player hears his name called. Kiper Jr. had wide receiver Riley Ridley going to the New Orleans Saints with pick No. 62. McShay doesn’t have another Georgia player being taken in his two-round mock draft.
Georgia had four players leave school early to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft, as Ridley was joined by wide receiver Mecole Hardman, running back Elijah Holyfield and tight end Isaac Nauta. Hardman has been mentioned as someone who could go in the late second or early third.
Neither Nauta or Holyfield tested well at the NFL combine, which likely cost them a chance of being selected on Friday. Another Georgia draft hopeful, outside linebacker D’Andre Walker, has been unable to workout for teams as he recovers from sports hernia surgery. Walker led Georgia in sacks last season ,and really could’ve helped his stock had he been able to participate in the combine as well as the Senior Bowl.
Georgia should still be well represented in the later rounds of the draft, as Nauta, Holyfield and Walker will likely be joined by wide receiver Terry Godwin, center Lamont Gaillard and defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter as players taken later on in the draft. The third day of the NFL draft which will consist of rounds four through seven is set for April 27.
Best Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football: Kirby Smart on ‘the wall’ and which freshmen have hit it this spring
- DN90: UGA fans enjoy seeing another 5-star visitor added to G-Day list
- Closer look: Examining Georgia football future schedules
- Demetris Robertson emerging as a big winner of Georgia’s spring practice
- Georgia football linebackers Brenton Cox and Robert Beal arrested prior to Tuesday practice
- Georgia football practice No. 7 observations: Range of emotions from Kirby Smart
- Georgia football coach Kirby Smart provides injury update on James Cook
- Georgia linebacker Brenton Cox takes to social media following arrest