The No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs have held their first three practices of the week as they prepare to host the No. 8 Arkansas Razorbacks. Below you can find live updates, the latest injury report and practice news for the week 5 game.
Georgia and Arkansas are two of the top teams in the country, as both programs enter with 4-0 records. The two teams played last season, with Georgia earning a 37-10 victory over the Razorbacks.
Georgia football-Arkansas live updates, practice news
6 p.m.: Sept. 29 update: We’ll be hearing from Georgia offensive lineman Justin Shaffer and punter Jake Camarda tonight. Updates will follow.
- “Coach Coch is awesome. We continue to support him. We’re really looking forward to him continuing to be the guy he is.” -- Jake Camarda on Scott Cochran.
- “Pod is a phenomenal kicker. He’s really good. In life you’re going to miss a couple of kicks. You never want it to happen but it’s going to happen. So just being there and being someone he can lean. Just being able to have a friendship in that is important. He’s really really good and he works.” -- Jake Camarda on Georgia kicker Jack Podlesny.
- “I love coach Pittman. He’s awesome.” -- Jake Camarda on Sam Pittman.
- “Coach Pittman is a good coach. He’s always got a good vibe. He’s just going to be a coach and have fun with it.” -- Justin Shaffer on Sam Pittman.
- “I wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for him. He had to go and move on. Business is business. He’s still got a piece in my heart.” -- Justin Shaffer on Sam Pittman.
- “They prepare us for each and every game. They’re really the same.” -- Justin Shaffer on the differences between Sam Pittman and Matt Luke.
- “He’s athletic, strong. If you don’t have good technique, he’s going to beat you every time.” -- Justin Shaffer on Jalen Carter.
- “He told my parents that he was going to get me my degree and do my best to get to the NFL.” -- Justin Shaffer on how Sam Pittman recruited him.
11 a.m., Sept. 29 update: On this morning’s SEC Coaches teleconference, Kirby Smart did state that Scott Cochran is back in Athens while visiting with his family. Smart says that he hopes Cochran is able to re-join the team in the coming weeks but they have not worked out what the role would be.
“He’s actually in town right now, as we speak,” Smart said. “He’s home for a little bit and visiting with his family and he’s with us temporarily and just seeing some friends and seeing some folks. Then he’ll hopefully join us in the next couple of weeks.”
Cochran stepped away from the team back in August for personal reasons. He was replaced on staff by Will Muschamp, who slide into the special teams coordinator role that Cochran held.
- “They both practiced both days. I think Tykee looked better on Monday. They’ll be on pitch counts. I think they did a good job today. I don’t know if they’ll be able to play or not.” -- Kirby Smart on Tykee Smith and Darnell Washington.
- Smart did add he’s hopeful Smith and Washington will be able to play.
- “He does a really good job of being able to change it up.” Smart on Barry Odom.
- “Lot of good football. Lot of good opportunities.” -- Kirby Smart on another a top-10 matchup.
- “I don’t think any coach would tell you they make a decision based on rankings.”
- “We didn’t love AD Mitchell’s high school tape. But we loved him in camp and we loved his workouts.” -- Kirby Smart on the evaluation process.
- “Those same players are the ones tackling people in the backfield. They’re aggressive. They know they got to have great eye control, great run-pass indicators. They can suffocate you with the way they play defense.”
- “He’s been struggling some this week. It’s bothering him some this week. He’s practicing and we think he’s going to be good to go.” -- Kirby Smart on Kearis Jackson.
- “He practices really hard. They’re both really good players and really good people.” --Kirby Smart on Latavious Brini.
- “He’s more confident in the system and his ability. He’s playing quicker to me. He’s really quick now. He can move and disengage. Really powerful. He plays with power when he strikes people. He’s got two great role models in Jordan and Devonte.” -- Kirby Smart on Jalen Carter.
- “Sam is a really optimistic, positive guy. He was always really good to be around. Sam always had a great vibe, a great spin around him. When I got the job he was the No. 1 person we targeted. ” -- Kirby Smart on Sam Pittman.
- “Tykee is a great player and a great guy.” Latavious Brini on Tykee Smith.
- “Every week we go in with a game plan and boosts my confidence.” -Tykee Smith
- “Just getting ready for a fistfight.” --Brini on the top-10 matchup.
- “I was not really happy with my playing time, so I just figured it out with my work, talked to my mom and figured it out.” -- Robert Beal on why he entered the transfer portal.
- “He’s a hard worker. Stay down and ball out. You’ll get your turn eventually.” -- Robert Beal on MJ Sherman.
9 a.m., Sept. 28 update: Kirby Smart provided a positive update on Darnell Washington and Tykee Smith on Monday when it comes to their status for the game against Arkansas.
“Darnell (Washington) and Tykee (Smith) are back,” Smart said. “We did not take them on the 70 for the main purpose of having them work out, so they got they a good workout in Friday. They got a good workout Saturday here without being here and they both ran well. They’re back in drills, they’re practicing this week, everything full go, so that hopefully, we have them available. We haven’t seen them physically practice yet, so we still have to see that, but our expectation is they’ll be able to go and play and be able to help us.”
Washington and Smith both had foot surgery in August and have yet to play in a game this season. They have though now officially practiced, as the sophomore tight end and junior defensive back were back at practice on Monday.
Perhaps most encouraging, neither was in a black non-contact jersey.