Georgia football took care of business against Georgia on Saturday with a 45-21 win in Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate.
The Bulldogs (11-1) took control early against the Yellow Jackets (7-5) and never really let their in-state rivals have any real hope. After a 100-yard kickoff return touchdown for Georgia Tech narrowed the margin to 14-7, Georgia scored 31 unanswered points before a couple of garbage time touchdowns en route to a systematic demolition of the Yellow Jackets.
Georgia racked up 447 yards of total offense. Meanwhile, the Bulldogs held the vaunted Georgia Tech option attack to just 128 rushing yards and 219 total yards.
Here are the key plays and scoring updates from the Bulldogs’ win over the Yellow Jackets.
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech: Fourth quarter
Georgia 45, Georgia Tech 21 (0:39): Taquon Marshall 28-yard touchdown pass to Brad Stewart (Wells kick). Drive: 7 plays, 69 yards, 0:59
- Blankenship misses a 48-yard field goal attempt with 1:38 remaining.
Georgia 45, Georgia Tech 14 (7:33): Qua Searcy 3-yard rushing touchdown (Wells kick). Drive: 6 plays, 44 yards, 2:57
- Georgia Tech’s first completed pass comes on a wide receiver pass to quarterback Taquon Marshall, who gains 22 yards.
- Worth noting: with 10:30 remaining in the game, Georgia Tech has no passing yards.
- Georgia freshman running back James Cook fumbles an exchange with Fields, and Georgia Tech recovers the ball at the Georgia 44.
- Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets trade punts to start fourth quarter. Georgia ball at its own 41 with 13:16 remaining.
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech: Third quarter
- Freshman quarterback enters the game with 1:18 remaining in the third quarter.
Georgia 45, Georgia Tech 7 (10:20): Jake Fromm 4-yard touchdown pass to Riley Ridley (Blankenship kick). Drive: 6 plays, 53 yards, 3:05
- Bulldogs force a three-and-out and only give up one yard on the Yellow Jackets’ first possession of the second half.
- Georgia Tech will receive the kickoff to start the second half.
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech: Second quarter
Georgia 38, Georgia Tech 7 (0:00): Rodrigo Blankenship 25-yard field goal. Drive: 7 plays, 40 yards, 0:48
- Another fourth down stop for Georgia with 0:43 remaining in the half as Marshall gets sacked again. Bulldogs’ ball at the Tech 48-yard line.
Georgia 35, Georgia Tech 7 (5:00): Elijah Holyfield 8-yard touchdown run (Blankenship kick). Drive: 5 plays, 33 yards, 2:11
- Georgia linebacker Robert Beal was shaken up on a kickoff for the second time during this game, and officials reviewed the play to determine if targeting should have been called. However, review upheld the no-call, to the disdain of the Georgia faithful in the stands.
- Fromm has started the game 9-of-10 passing for 144 yards and 3 touchdowns.
Georgia 28, Georgia Tech 7 (9:22): Jake Fromm 44-yard touchdown pass to Mecole Hardman (Blankenship kick). Drive: 1 play, 44 yards, 0:08
- Georgia defensive tackle Jordan Davis sacks Georgia Tech quarterback Taquon Marshall on fourth-and-7. Bulldogs take over on downs at the Tech 44 with 9:30 left in the half.
- Georgia has the advantage in time of possession so far at 13:20 compared to Georgia Tech’s 3:44. The Yellow Jackets want to win that category, so that’s a good sign for the Bulldogs. Their offense is sustaining drives, while their defense is suffocating the Georgia Tech triple-option attack so far.
Georgia 21, Georgia Tech 7 (12:56): Jake Fromm 12-yard touchdown pass to J.J. Holloman (Blankenship kick). Drive: 6 plays, 63 yards, 2:29
- Georgia opens the quarter with a first down at the Georgia Tech 46 after a 17-yard catch by J.J. Holloman to close the first quarter.
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech: First quarter
- Is that bad?
Bulldogs have struggled on kickoff returns when Blankenship doesn't get touchback. Georgia ranked 112th in FBS coming in. Tech actually worse at 128th.
— TOWERS' TAKE (@ChipTowersDN) November 24, 2018
Georgia 14, Georgia Tech 7 (0:32): Juanyeh Thomas 100-yard kickoff return touchdown (Wesley Wells kick).
Georgia 14, Georgia Tech 0 (0:51): D’Andre Swift 1-yard touchdown run (Blankenship kick). Drive: 11 plays, 88 yards, 6:07
- Bulldogs face fourth-and-1 from the Georgia Tech 10-yard line, and they convert with Fromm on a quarterback sneak. It’s a good sign for Georgia, which has struggled in short-yardage at times this season.
- Georgia Tech goes 15 yards in 6 plays. The Yellow Jackets lined up to go for it on fourth-and-1, but a false start pushed them back and forced them to punt. Georgia ball at its own 12.
- Blankenship kickoff goes out of bounds, giving Georgia Tech the ball at its own 35-yard line. It’s the second week in a row Blankenship has sent a kick out of bounds.
Georgia 7, Georgia Tech 0 (10:23): Jake Fromm 5-yard touchdown pass to Riley Ridley (Rodrigo Blankenship kick). Drive: 9 plays, 75 yards, 4:37. Key Play: Terry Godwin 22-yard reception to Georgia Tech 25-yard line.
- Georgia Tech wins the toss and defers. Georgia gets the ball first, starting at its own 25-yard line.
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech: Time, TV info
Georgia hosts Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday. The game is being broadcast on SEC Network.