Want to attack every day with the latest UGA football recruiting info? That’s what the Intel brings. The play here will be the first of a few 10,000-foot views above the top-rated 2020 signing class for Georgia football.
Georgia wrapped up another gullywasher of a signing class on Wednesday. The class now winds up as the No. 1 overall group in the country based on the 247Sports Team Composite rankings.
Kirby Smart continues to keep a steady stream of talent pumping into Athens as the life’s blood of the program.
Check out Georgia’s finishes on that scale for the last four cycles:
- 2020: 1st
- 2019: 2nd
- 2018: 1st
- 2017: 3rd
Want to dance around a few of the bigger moments and storylines for the makeup of the 2020 class? Read along below:
The first Bulldog into the class: 4-star DT Nazir Stackhouse committed on the same day Georgia beat Auburn for the 2017 SEC title way back on Dec. 2, 2017
First 5-star in: That was 5-star OT Broderick Jones. He wasn’t a 5-star then but would be soon thereafter. That was in late April of 2018. He had actually committed to Georgia about two months in advance of that but he wasn’t a silent commitment. It was just that nobody bothered to ask him about it.
Hard to believe but true: Georgia added 11 players to its 2020 class from the time that 4-star OT Joshua Braun de-committed on Dec. 11 to the time it added the final recruit in the class on Feb. 5.
Decommits: (4) 4-star OG Akinola Ogunbiyi (Texas A&M); 4-star DT Jamil Burroughs (Alabama); 3-star ATH Corey Wren (FSU) and 4-star OG Joshua Braun (Florida)
Recommits: (1) 4-star DT Warren Brinson
The rough patch of 2020 cycle: Beginning on Aug. 18, 2019, the Bulldogs saw three de-commitments and didn’t get a single commit for the class until Dec. 15, 2019. All told, that was a rough 121 days.
Closest to commit but never did (non-5-star RB category): 5-star ILB Noah Sewell (Oregon)
Best month: May 2019. Why? It is hard to top the addition of one-time 5-star Mekhail Sherman, near-5-star OT Tate Ratledge and 5-star DT Jalen Carter joining the class. There is a most honorable mention here in December 2019.
If we’re counting the other 5-star signees that month (Kelee Ringo, Darnell Washington) then that is a strong contender here to May. But those were silent signees that were not announced until the All-American events in January.
The case can still be made that Sherman, Ratledge and Carter gave the 2020 class the foundation it needed for future elite prospects to realize exactly what Georgia was building with this group. Carter is an especially strong sign. The case can easily be made that he will be as stout at his position as any future Bulldog in this class.
Big momentum spike: That would be July 29, 2019. When 5-star RB Kendall Milton chose Georgia, the class had it silent stealth ninja. Milton’s methods weren’t as over-the-top as those of Richard LeCounte III in the 2017 class, but they were just as effective. He labored tirelessly behind the scenes to bring in a group that could play for and win “nattys” with him during his time at UGA. Milton was also big behind the scenes in the Ringo recruitment.
Milton even coined the infamous line “Top 2 class and I’m not talking No. 2” when discussing the future potential for this signing class in Athens.
Flips: (1) 3-star DB Daran Branch flipped from Ole Miss to Georgia on National Signing Day earlier this week. That move was already in motion after his official visit to UGA on the next-to-last recruiting weekend of the cycle.
Class surges: It is impressive to consider that Georgia picked up five members of this class (plus two other eventual de-commits) in June and July of 2019. The Bulldogs also saw 11 members of the class join the program between December 15 of 2019 and February 5 of 2020. That’s 16 of the 25 signees in this group. Those guys all become Bulldogs across the span of about 105 days.
Kendall Milton committing to Georgia on July 29, 2019, was a big momentum spike for the 2020 class in Athens. (Jeff Sentell/DawgNation)
The 2020 UGA recruiting class timeline
- Dec. 2, 2017: 4-star DT Nazir Stackhouse (Stephenson/Stone Mountain, Ga.) commits. (Class count:1)
- April 26, 2018: 5-star OT Broderick Jones (Lithonia/Lithonia, Ga.) commits. (2)
- August 25, 2018: 4-star DT Jamil Burroughs (McEachern/Powder Springs, Ga.) commits. (3)
- November 24, 2018: Unrated DT Warren Brinson (IMG Academy/Bradenton, Fla.) commits. (4)
- January 29, 2019: Brinson de-commits from UGA (3)
- March 2, 2019: 4-star WR Justin Robinson (Eagles Landing Christian Academy/Stockbridge, Ga.) commits. (4)
- March 3, 2019: 4-star QB Carson Beck (Mandarin/Jacksonville, Fla.) commits. (5)
- April 17, 2019: 4-star CB Jalen Kimber (Mansfield Timberview/Arlington, Tex. commits. (6)
- April 20, 2019: 4-star OG Akinola Ogunbiyi (Kempner/Sugar Land, Tex.) commits. (7)
- May 9, 2019: 4-star OLB Mekhail Sherman (St. Johns College/Washington, D.C) commits (8)
- May 13, 2019: 4-star OT Tate Ratledge (Darlington/Rome, Ga.) commits. (9)
- May 20, 2019: 4-star DT Jalen Carter (Apopka/Apopka, Fla.) commits. (10)
- June 1, 2019: 4-star DT Warren Brinson recommits to UGA. (11)
- June 10, 2019: 4-star OT Joshua Braun commits. (12)
- June 13, 2019: 2-star PK Jared Zirkel (Tivy/Kerrville, Tex.) commits. (13)
- June 20, 2019: 4-star WR Marcus Rosemy (St. Thomas Aquinas/Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) commits. (14)
- June 21, 2019: 3-star ATH Corey Wren (John Curtis/New Orleans, La.) commits. (15)
- June 23, 2019: 4-star OL Akinola Ogunbiyi flips to Texas A&M. (14)
- July 28, 2019: 4-star OL Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek/League City, Tex.) commits. (15)
- July 29, 2019: 5-star RB Kendall Milton (Buchanan/Clovis, Calif.) commits. (16)
- Aug. 17, 2019: 4-star C Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (Warren Easton/New Orleans, La.) commits (17)
- Sept. 6, 2019: 4-star DT Jamil Burroughs (McEachern/Powder Springs, Ga.) de-commits. (16)
- Dec. 3, 2019: 3-star ATH Corey Wren (John Curtis/New Orleans, La.) de-commits (15)
- Dec. 11, 2019: 4-star OT Joshua Braun (Suwaneee/Live Oak, Fla.) de-commits (14)
- Dec. 15 2019: 3-star OG Devin Willock (Paramus Catholic/Paramus, NJ) commits (15)
Early signing period
NOTE: Georgia would add the signings of two more 5-star commits during this time, but they would not be revealed until their All-American event announcements.
- Jan. 2, 2020: 5-star ATH Darnell Washington (Desert Pines/Las Vegas, Nev.) commits. (20)
- Jan. 4, 2020: 5-star CB Kelee Ringo (Saguaro/Scottsdale, Ariz.) commits. (21)
- Jan. 30, 2020: 4-star RB Daijun Edwards (Colquitt County/Moultrie, Ga.) commits. (22)
- Feb. 2, 2020: 3-star WR Ladd McConkey (North Murray/Chatsworth, Ga.) commits. (23)
- Feb. 5, 2020: 3-star OL Cameron Kinnie (Collins Hill/Suwanne, Ga.) commits. (24)
- Feb. 5, 2020: 3-star DB Daran Branch (Amite High/Amite, La.) commits. (25)
Breaking down the 2020 signing class
- Total offers: 267 (According to 247Sports)
- Offensive signees: 16
- Defensive signees: 8
- Special teams signees: 1
- Blueshirts: 1
- Georgia signees: 8
- Out-of-state signees: 17
- 5-stars: 4
- 3-stars: 6 (3 from Georgia)
- Top 50 prospects: 6
- Top 100 prospects (247Sports Composite): 11
- Prospects rated among the nation’s Top 5 at their position: 8
- Prospects rated among the nation’s top 10 at their position: 13
Georgia football: 2020 class positional breakdown
- QB (1) : 4-star Carson Beck
- RBs (2): 4-star Kendall Milton, 4-star Daijun Edwards
- TE: (1) 5-star ATH Darnell Washington
- WRs (5): 4-star Marcus Rosemy, 4-star Arian Smith, 4-star Jermain Burton, 4-star Justin Robinson, 3-star Ladd McConkey
- OTs (3): 5-star Broderick Jones; 4-star Tate Ratledge. 4-star Chad Lindberg
- OT/OGs (2): 3-star Devin Willock, 3-star Austin Blaske
- C/OGs (2) 4-star Sedrick Van Pran; 3-star Cameron Kinnie
- DE: None
- DTs (3): 5-star Jalen Carter, 4-star Warren Brinson, 4-star Nazir Stackhouse
- ILB: None
- OLB: 4-star Mekhail Sherman
- CBs (2): 5-star Kelee Ringo, 4-star Jalen Kimber
- CBs/Ss (2): 4-star Major Burns, 3-star Daran Branch
- K: 3-star Jared Zirkel
- Totals: (25)