ATHENS — Whether it means something or not, Greyson Lambert was first quarterback in the pecking order during the media viewing period of Georgia’s practice on Tuesday.
The fifth-year senior went first every time the team switched plays during both periods. The team was doing play polish, with Lambert starting off by handing to Nick Chubb, then Jacob Eason handing to Sony Michel, and so on. Lambert also went first during a subsequent passing drill.
Lambert started Georgia’s opener, but Eason started last week against Nicholls State.
Update: Kirby Smart said after practice that no starter has been decided. It took until late in the week before the first two games for a starter to be revealed.
“We don’t make decisions on quarterback coming out of practice on Tuesday,” Smart said.
A few more notes from the media viewing period:
- Smart was very active coaching the defense, holding a play sheet and yelling out instructions.
- While sophomore defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter remains suspended for Saturday’s game, according to Smart, Ledbetter was not in a scout-team jersey on Tuesday.
- Sophomore receiver Shaquery Wilson was either not with the receivers during the media period, or he was in a scout-team jersey. Wilson has not played in the first two games.
- The first-team offensive line remains unchanged.
- Natrez Patrick and Roquan Smith were the first-team inside linebackers. Reggie Carter started over Patrick against Nicholls State.
- Crowd noise was being piped into practice as the media left.