ATHENS —Georgia football made a statement with its 27-10 victory over Auburn on Saturday night.
The No 5-ranked Bulldogs (9-1, 7-1 SEC) are on the rise, and there’s no telling how good they’ll be by the time they face Alabama in the SEC Championship Game on Dec 1.
The Bulldogs trailed 10-6 midway through the second quarter before exploding for 21 unanswered points behind a dominant rushing attack.
Georgia controlled the clock and tempo throughout the night, dominating the time of possession 38:15 to 21:45.
The Bulldogs defense frustrated Auburn all night, holding the Tigers to less than 100 yards rushing as a team and just 55 yards passing in the second half.
Georgia finished the game out-gaining Auburn 516 yards to 274.
Here are the key plays and updates from throughout the game:
– Georgia attempted a fake field goal with 3:20 remaining in the game, but Rodrigo Blankenship just overthrew tight end Isaac Nauta. Nauta was open, and the play likely would have been a touchdown if the pass was on target.
– Athletic trainers attending to offensive lineman Kendall Baker on the field with 5:21 remaining. He eventually limped off with an apparent left knee injury. Lamont Gaillard also left the game in the fourth quarter having trouble putting weight on his leg because of his hyperextended knee.
Georgia 27, Auburn 10 (13:53): D’Andre Swift 77-yard touchdown run (Blankenship kick). Drive: 2 plays, 75 yards, 1:00
– The Bulldog defense bails them out after the Fromm interception, forcing a punt that goes into the end zone for a touchback after a six-play drive by Auburn that got into Georgia territory.
– A promising Georgia possession ends with an interception by Jake Fromm. Jamel Dean jumped a route on first-and-10 to give the Tigers the ball at their own 24-yard line. The ruling of interception was confirmed upon review.
– Ben Cleveland made his first appearance since suffering a broken fibula against Missouri on Sept. 22. He was on the field as part of the punt protection unit with 13:06 remaining in the quarter.
Georgia 20, Auburn 10 (0:21): Terry Godwin 38-yard pass from Jake Fromm (Blankenship kick). Drive: 5 plays, 69 yards, 1:39. Big Play: D’Andre Swift 24-yard run on first play with Georgia 31.
Georgia 13, Auburn 10 (2:47): Tyler Simmons 14-yard pass from Jake Fromm (Blankenship kick). Drive: 8 plays, 59 yards, 4:50. Big Play: D’Andre Swift 15-yard run out of Wild Dawg formation on third-and-1 at 50-yard line.
– Mecole Hardman leaves game with ankle injury, 6-minute mark.
– Kendall Baker in at right guard for Cade Mays
Auburn 10, Georgia 6 (7:46): Anders Carlson 27-yard field goal. Drive: 11 plays, 66 yards, 3:27. Big Play: Eric Stokes pass break-up on Auburn’s third-and-goal play from the Georgia 4.
Auburn 7, Georgia 6 (11:13): Rodrigo Blankenship 20-yard field goal. Drive: 15 plays, 73 yards, 8:15. Big Play: Terry Godwin 21-yard pass from Jake Fromm on third-and-5 at Auburn 43, down to Tigers’ 22.
Auburn 7, Georgia 3 (4:28): John Samuel Shenker 9-yard pass from JaTarvious Whitlow (Anders Carlson kick). Drive: 8 plays, 75 yards, 2:33. Big Play: Ryan Davis 7 yard pass from Jarrett Stidham, unnecessary roughness on Deandre Baker moves ball to Georgia 16.
Georgia 3, Auburn 0 (7:01): Rodrigo Blankenship 25-yard field goal. Drive: 10 plays, 80 yards, 5:09. Big Play: Terry Godwin 25-yard pass from Jake Fromm to UGA 42.
– Cade Mays starts at right guard, Lamont Gaillard starts at center.
NextWATCH: Auburn DE Big Kat Bryant ejected for targeting on Georgia QB...