Most of UGA’s football coaches pulled off the road from recruiting
With the regular season out of the way, college football recruiting gets cranked up this week.
And UGA will be short-handed as the staff hits the road on Monday, one day after Mark Richt’s firing.
Most of the Bulldogs assistants have been called off recruiting duties, a source told DawgNation on Sunday night.
At least three UGA staff members — recruiting coordinator Bryan McClendon, running backs coach Thomas Brown and director of player personnel Todd Hartley — will still be representing the Bulldogs on the road this week.
However, the rest of the regular coaching staff will stay put.
Richt and UGA offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer were scheduled on Monday to see Ben Cleveland, the 5-star offensive tackle from Stephens County who is committed to the Bulldogs.
Ace recruiter Jeremy Pruitt, the UGA’s defensive coordinator, was initially headed on Monday to Peachtree Ridge High School to see at least four top targets, including Bulldogs commit Chad Clay and his two heralded teammates — senior safety Nigel Warrior (undecided) and junior safety DeAngelo Gibbs (undecided). Pruitt was the only UGA assistant on the road on Sunday morning when the news broke about Richt; Pruitt was attending church with the mother of 5-star Mecole Hardman of Elbert County.
Another one of UGA’s top recruiters, defensive line coach Tracy Rocker, was supposed to visit with two of the state’s elite defensive linemen — Cedar Grove’s Antwuan Jackson (undecided) and Michail Carter (undecided).
- What went wrong for Mark Richt at Georgia
- Mark Richt’s dismissal was long in the works
- UGA moves ‘all about Kirby Smart’
- What does Mark Richt news mean for Jacob Eason?
- Richt’s firing confirms what many believed: It was time for a change
- Leading candidates to replace Richt at Georgia
- What do recruits think about Kirby Smart to UGA?
- Current Georgia player offers a message for Eason
- With Richt out, UGA’s next step is to get Smart
- Saban on Richt: ‘I hate to see these kinds of things’
- Current UGA players react to end of the Mark Richt era
- Richt’s former players ‘surprised’ by the news
- Hiring Mark Richt remains Vince Dooley’s proudest achievement
- UGA should think twice before hiring Kirby Smart
- National media reacts to Mark Richt being ousted at UGA
- Jeremy Pruitt with recruit Mecole Hardman’s mother when news broke
- UGA commits react to the firing of Mark Richt
- UGA targets react to Mark Richt’s firing
- Greg McGarity’s career will be defined by his first major hire
- A small vigil held outside of Butts-Mehre for Richt