The Georgia Bulldogs, who are now 11-2 after losing in the SEC championship game to Alabama 35-28, dropped to No. 6 in this week’s AP Poll. The final College Football Playoff rankings are set to come out at around 12:30 p.m. ET. Georgia was ranked No. 6 in the Coaches Poll.
The Bulldogs led for a majority of the game on Saturday, as quarterback Jake Fromm threw for 301 yards and 3 touchdowns against a strong Alabama defense. Georgia had a 28-21 lead over the Crimson Tide when quarterback Tua Tagovailoa left the game with an injury. But backup Jalen Hurts led Alabama to touchdowns on two straight drives to the end game. Fromm’s Hail Mary attempt on the final play of the game got knocked away, making Alabama SEC champs.
The Crimson Tide are still the No. 1 team in the country, followed by Clemson at No. 2 and Notre Dame at No. 3. Oklahoma is now No. 4 after the Sooners beat Texas to win the Big 12 while Ohio State moved to No. 5 after it won the Big Ten.
The SEC has eight teams ranked in this edition of the AP Poll as Florida is now No. 10, LSU is No. 11 and Kentucky is No. 15. Mississippi State sits at No. 18 and Texas A&M rounds things out at No. 21. Missouri is also ranked No. 24. The SEC has the most ranked teams in the country.
As for what’s next for Georgia, that will be announced Sunday. Should Georgia finish as the highest ranked SEC team not to make the College Football Playoff, the Bulldogs would go to the Sugar Bowl to take on the highest ranked Big 12 team that does not make the playoff. That will be either Texas or West Virginia. The Longhorns lost to Oklahoma on Saturday, 37-29. The Sugar Bowl will be played on Jan. 1 in New Orleans and is slated to kick off at 8:45 p.m. ET. The bowl announcement should come out at around 3 p.m. on Sunday.
Below you can see the full top 25 rankings for week 15
AP Poll rankings week 15 Top 25
3. Notre Dame
5. Ohio State
12. Washington State
13. Penn State
15. West Virginia
18. Mississippi State
19. Fresno State
21. Texas A&M
23. Boise State
25. Iowa State
Best stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football is one of the best teams in the country and it doesn’t matter
- Nick Saban on Georgia CFB Playoff worthiness: ‘I sure as hell don’t want to play them again’
- Georgia coach Kirby Smart: ‘We couldn’t close the deal’
- There’s no defending Georgia’s Kirby Smart for calling fake punt
- Postgame Show: Georgia drops heartbreaker, 35-28, to Alabama in SEC Championship
- Some media campaigning for Georgia to make CFB Playoff after nearly upsetting Alabama
- Kirby Smart: Georgia football ‘had a guy wide open’ on failed fake punt
- GAME BALL: QB Jake Fromm led the Georgia Bulldogs as far as he could
- Everyone offers condolences after another Georgia heartbreaker vs. Alabama