ATHENS — Georgia football was back in national headlines when much-hyped freshman quarterback Justin Fields informed his coaches he was exploring a transfer.
Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart opened up the quarterback competition for the highly-coveted Fields upon his arrival last January, even though incumbent Jake Fromm had led Georgia to the SEC Championship along with a Rose Bowl win and national title game appearance.
Fromm held the starting job and led the No. 5-ranked Bulldogs to an 11-2 record and upcoming appearance in the Sugar Bowl against No. 15 Texas (9-4) on Jan. 1 in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Dome.
Fields played in 12 of the 13 games, his talent obvious, but his execution in the pass game spotty.
Beat writers Mike Griffith and Chip Towers discuss the Fields’ situation and potential ramifications should he decide to transfer.
Chip and Griff Show
Justin Fields coverage from around DawgNation
- QB Justin Fields transferring might not be the worst thing for the Georgia Bulldogs’ cause
- Frustrated Georgia football QB Justin Fields has informed staff he’s exploring transfer
- Even without Justin Fields, Georgia football will still be great because it has Jake Fromm
- WATCH: New video shows Justin Fields clearly frustrated with his role at Georgia
- What Justin Fields told reporters after the SEC Championship game
- If Justin Fields transfers from Georgia football, hard to blame Kirby Smart
- Member of Georgia QB Justin Fields’ family: ‘We have not made any decisions’
- Social media stunned by Justin Fields’ reported decision to transfer