DawgNation might want to change the name of its popular daily blog to G’Day UGA. At least for a day. That’s because the Bulldogs picked up a commitment on Wednesday from Australian punter Brett Thorson.
Thorson will be on full scholarship. He also becomes a member of the class of 2022.
I am extremely honoured and excited to announce that I have committed to study and play football at the University of Georgia on full scholarship for 2022#GoDawgs #BO22MOVES #CommitToTheG pic.twitter.com/CCOywXusHE
— Brett Thorson (@brett_thorson) March 31, 2021
That links the Bulldogs up with a recent trend in college football. Several SEC programs of late have had great success by bringing punters across the globe to study abroad and play college football in America.
— Prokick Australia (@ProkickAus) December 8, 2020
Thorson now becomes the 12th member of the 2022 class in Athens. We can also certainly add him to the out-of-state list, too.
He’s the first specialist in the class and his big leg will be needed to replace the talents of 2021 senior Jake Camarda in Athens.
If memory serves, then Thorson will be the first international Bulldog on scholarship for the football team since Georgia legend Richard Tardits came over from France during the Vince Dooley era.
It was roughly 5 a.m. local time in Australia when Thorson made his commitment.
Of that, we can certainly say this is the first commitment made to UGA from a prospect 17 hours ahead of the current local time in Athens.
Cheers, Go Dawgs!! 🦘🦘🚀🚀 pic.twitter.com/RoBtSqtZFS
— Todd Hartley (@coach_thartley) March 31, 2021
(the recent reads on DawgNation.com)
- BREAKING: 4-star RB Jordan James commits to the G
- WATCH: Jalon Walker breaks down Glenn Schumann’s “drip” and why he chose UGA
- BREAKING: All-American LB Jalon Walker has made his college decision
- BREAKING: Priority 5-star ATH Malaki Starks has made his college decision
- AJ Harris: Guided by his faith, elite CB AJ Harris will not slow play his decision
- Nation’s No. 1 DT Walter Nolen already says UGA will get an official visit
- Under Armour camp: The 11 quick-as-a-hiccup updates for UGA recruiting
- Malaki Starks breaks down his pending Alabama, Clemson or UGA decision
- Kayin Lee: Elite DB prospect breaks down a “dream school” offer from UGA
- Huge recruiting weekend for official visitors lining up for UGA in June
- Tony Mitchell: Nation’s No. 1 CB for 2023 has felt that “home” feeling about UGA
- Nation’s No.1 RB Branson Robinson shares his deep connections to UGA
- De’Nylon Morrissette: Why the elite WR was ready to commit and might still be able to
- Georgia commit Pearce Spurlin III breaks down slick catch and two-sport potential
- Priority target? Gunner Stockton thinks Oscar Delp would be a good roommate
- Jordan Allen: Why “Lockdown” still keeps his UGA offer as his pinned tweet
- Why did All-American Jalon Walker say “oh yeah” while discussing UGA in his top 6?
- Priority OL target Tyler Booker is pumped about UGA adding Gunner Stockton
- Malaki Starks: A DawgNation Sunday read on a vital UGA recruiting target
- 4-star Tennessee RB Jordan James hits the hole hard on why UGA is his top school
- Amarius Mims: The legacy he left behind on Georgia high school football
- WATCH: 2021 signee Dylan Fairchild wins the 7A state heavyweight wrestling title
- Tre’Quon Fegans: Why Georgia feels like “home” for the top 100 overall prospect
- Big Bear Alexander: When you know this 5-star’s real story, you will be proud
- WATCH: Gunner Stockton’s feet are planted long term; Says he’ll graduate from UGA
- Gunner Stockton: The must-read stories to know on Georgia’s new 5-star QB commit