UGA recruiting: Latest updates on the Bulldogs’ class
Georgia’s 2018 recruiting class remains at nine commitments, four months away from the early National Letter of Intent signing period Dec. 20-22. UGA picked up its latest 2018 commitment July 24 when 4-star OLB Caleb Tannor (Miller Grove H.S./Lithonia, Ga.) chose the Bulldogs over Auburn.
The Bulldogs were able to land two in-state commits in July.
With nine spots filled, the Bulldogs have just over a third of their slots filled for 2018. Look for UGA to sign 23 or 24 players this year. That number will be impacted by the number of early departures to the 2018 NFL Draft and transfers to other programs.
August has the potential to be even better. Two high-profile player have said they will announce their decisions shortly: 4-star DE Azeez Ojulari (Marietta, Ga.) on Aug. 17, followed by 4-star WR Kearis Jackson (Peach County H.S./Fort Valley, Ga.) on Aug. 19.
The Bulldogs are in good shape to gain the recruitment of both players. Ojulari would become the second-highest prospect in the class if he chooses UGA. If Jackson follows suit, he would leap Ojulari to become the second-highest rated 2018 recruit.
Zamir White, the 5-star running back (Scotland County H.S./Laurinburg, N.C.) ranks as the top UGA commit and is the No. 6 overall player in the nation, according to the 247Sports composite.
Here’s an early glance at where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where the UGA class ranks
Georgia’s 2018 class is ranked No. 58 nationally and No. 13 in the SEC. UGA currently has the second-fewest commits in the SEC of this cycle. The currently commit board tally has only 44 percent of the class rated at 4 stars or better.
Latest news on UGA recruiting
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
- Big UGA target Tyreke Johnson wouldn’t mind rooming with 5-star QB Justin Fields
- Marietta’s Harrison Bailey joins Georgia’s Golden era of QBs
- Elite DE Azeez Ojulari has a lot to say about Florida and UGA leading up to his decision
- Nation’s No. 3 DE Azeez Ojulari has set his decision date
- UGA football recruiting: What big questions remain for 2018?
- The red-and-black coincidence for UGA commit John FitzPatrick
- Who are the Bulldogs looking at for secondary in 2018?
The 2018 Georgia offers by the numbers
(as published by 247Sports)
- Reported offers: 282
- 5-star offers: 21
- 4-star offers: 160
- 3-star offers: 98
- In-state recruits offered: 45
- Florida recruits offered: 73
- Texas recruits offered: 30
- Louisiana recruits offered: 12
- Alabama recruits offered: 12
- California recruits offered: 11
- Tennessee recruits offered: 11
- Defensive linemen offered: 60
- Receivers offered: 59
- Defensive backs offered: 56
- RB Zamir White, 5 stars, Laurinburg, NC
- OLB Caleb Tannor, 4 stars, Lithonia, Ga.
- OG Warren Ericson, 4 stars, Suwanee, Ga.
- CB Chris Smith, 4 stars, Atlanta
- OT Owen Condon, 3 stars, Oklahoma City
- DE Jaevon Becton, 3 stars, Virginia Beach, Va.
- TE John FitzPatrick, 3 stars, Atlanta
- S Rachad Wildgoose Jr., 3 stars, Miami
- K/P Jake Camarda, 2 stars, Norcross, Ga.
The 2018 UGA recruiting position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 0/1
- RB: 1/2 (White)
- TE: 1/2 (FitzPatrick)
- WR: 0/2
- OL: 2/5 (Condon, Ericson)
- DL: 1/2 (Becton)
- ILB: 0/1
- OLB: 1/3 (Tannor)
- CB: 1/3 (Smith)
- S: 1/2 (Wildgoose)
- P/K: 1/1 (Camarda)
Geographical UGA recruiting breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the current UGA commits by state:
- Georgia: 5 (Camarda, Ericson, FitzPatrick, Smith, Tannor)
- Florida: 1 (Wildgoose)
- North Carolina: 1 (White)
- Oklahoma: 1 (Condon)
- Virginia: (Becton)