Devonte Wyatt de-committed from South Carolina and flipped to Georgia in one swift decision earlier this week. He’s the program’s newest commitment and that means there is still a lot to learn about the three-star defensive tackle from Towers High School in Metro Atlanta.
Wyatt is rated as just the nation’s No. 49 defensive tackle prospect for 2017. That should be interpreted as a lack of exposure on the evaluation circuit more than anything else. The nearly 6-foot-4 and 295-pound prospect has uncommon athleticism for his size. His coaches at Towers place him among the 10 fastest players on the team despite his size.
Towers head coach Dr. Brian Montgomery states Wyatt can run the 40 in under 4.6 seconds without an ounce of hesitation. He also produces on the field. Wyatt also picked up approximately eight sacks in 10 games in a very competitive region last fall.
What else is there to know about Wyatt? Well, he joined DawgNation on Facebook Live on Wednesday evening for another edition in our series of live interviews with DawgNation readers. Check out the interview below. The 20-minute session had already garnered more than 13,000 views and 205 comments in less than 12 hours.
We learned a great deal about Wyatt including the answers to the following questions:
- Can he enroll early?
- What are the chances of him flipping away from Georgia?
- Which member of the UGA defensive line does he already feel a very tight connection to?
- How did he get so crazy fast?
- Who is his favorite Georgia player of all time?
- What was the main reason he committed to Georgia?
- How does he feel about coach Kirby Smart?
The DawgNation live chat archives are growing. Check out the recap posts from Sentell’s recent live UGA chats:
- July 21: Top 10 reasons why everyone is so ready for football season
- July 13: Live chat with UGA dual legacy Jaden Hunter
- June 29: Live chat with UGA four-star receiver commitment Trey Blount
- June 15: Live chat with UGA’s new commitment D’Antne Demery of Brunswick High School
- June 8: Watch: Live UGA chat with Jeff Sentell on breakout freshmen and the next man to commit
- June 1: UGA’s latest WR commitment and what happened when Michigan’s satellite camp went down to Georgia
- May 25: Live chat with UGA quarterback commit Jake Fromm
- May 17: Watch UGA RB target Brian Herrien make his college decision
- May 11: Live chat with UGA commit Breon Dixon
- April 27: What’s will Demetris Robertson decide? Is he trending away from UGA?
- April 20: Live chat with UGA signee Tyler Simmons
- April 19: Live chat with UGA commitment Netori Johnson
- April 13: What’s going to happen with William Poole III
- April 6: UGA’s newest commit Max Wray takes all your questions
- March 30: What’s up with all these open record requests?
- March 23: What to look for this spring in recruiting
- March 16: We talk spring game, hype songs and running back depth
- March 9: Lorenzo Carter, Demetris Robertson, and the biggest recruiting needs
Jeff Sentell covers UGA football and UGA recruiting for AJC.com and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Follow him on Twitter for the latest on who’s on their way to play Between the Hedges. Unless otherwise indicated, player rankings and ratings are from the 247Sports Composite.