For the second consecutive season, the top-seeded Georgia women’s tennis team will be advancing to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament. The Bulldogs beat No. 16-seed Michigan 4-2 and will next take on No. 8-seed Vanderbilt.
This was the last match of the season at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, which is set to undergo major construction this offseason. Georgia hosted Michigan on Saturday due to a change with NCAA Tournament, as this is the first year the NCAA has had the top seeds host, similar to baseball and softball.
The Bulldogs suffered a rare loss in the doubles point, their first doubles defeat in the previous 14 matches. But the Bulldogs bounced back to win four of the five singles matches, clinching the 4-2 win over the Wolverines.
“First thing I’d really like to say is I think Michigan has a great team and great program,” Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace said. “They’re well-coached, and it was a heck of a match. The second thing I’ll say is our fans were amazing today. The atmosphere here was just incredible. I’m super proud of our team and what they’ve accomplished this year in getting us to this Elite Eight, and the fact that this was the last match of the year here at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex, that’s always emotional and sad for us because it’s such a great place to play.”
— Georgia W Tennis (@UGAWomensTennis) May 11, 2019
Georgia beat Vanderbilt twice during the regular season. The Bulldogs won 4-3 on Feb. 10 and then beat the Commodores again in Athens 4-1. Georgia and Vanderbilt are two of three SEC teams in the Elite Eight. The other team is South Carolina, who takes on Duke. Should Georgia beat Vanderbilt, the Bulldogs would play the winner of the South Carolina-Duke match.
The Bulldogs and Commodores will play on May 17 in Orlando, Fla. The final site of the NCAA Tournament will be played out on the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla.
1. #3 Kate Fahey (U-M) def. #2 Katarina Jokic (UGA) 6-0, 6-4
2. #19 Marta Gonzalez (UGA) def. #80 Giulia Pairone (U-M) 7-5, 7-5
3. #69 Lourdes Carle (UGA) def. #50 Brienne Minor (U-M) 6-3, 6-3
4. #72 Vivian Wolff (UGA) vs. #49 Chiara Lommer (U-M) 6-4, 4-6, unfinished
5. Elena Christofi (UGA) def. Alyvia Jones (U-M) 6-0, 6-3
6. #122 Meg Kowalski (UGA) def. Anca Craciun (U-M) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
1. #37 Kate Fahey/Brienne Minor (U-M) def. #28 Lourdes Carle/Katarina Jokic (UGA) 6-3
2. Vivian Wolff/Elena Christofi (UGA) def. Giulia Pairone/Anca Craciun (U-M) 6-3
3. Lera Patiuk/Alyvia Jones (U-M) def. Meg Kowalski/Marta Gonzalez (UGA) 6-3