The No. 1 ranked Georgia football team takes on Auburn this Saturday in a Week 5 college football game. Below you can find live updates, injury news and practice notes for the game.
This will be Georgia’s first road game of the season. The Bulldogs enter the game 4-0, coming off a win over UAB.
Georgia football-Auburn live updates, practice notes for Week 5
11:30 a.m. ET: Georgia coach Kirby Smart and multiple players will be speaking with reporters to preview the game against Auburn.
- “Really average. I wouldn’t say I’ve gotten a lot of action the first four games due to the outside run. Not a lot of action in the whole. They’re trying to make our corners tackle.”
- “A young guy who is going to be really good in the future.” -- Jamon Dumas-Johnson on CJ Allen.
- “Javon is definitely one of the leaders on the defense. He definitely helps make communication easier.” -- JDJ on Javon Bullard.
- “Communication is everything. Coach Schu showed us a video of Ray Lewis on Friday night about Lewis communicating.”
- “Coach Smart I think breaks the volume on the speakers up. It helps make things easier on Saturday. It’s static just blasting.” -- Dumas-Johnson on how to improve and prepare for communicating going into a hostile environment.
- “Coach will be mad if I don’t put Georgia Tech first. Auburn probably second. Georgia Tech has to be first.” -- Jamon Dumas-Johnson on Georgia’s.
- “Georgia Tech is the one for him that gives him that twitch at the end of the day. I always pay attention to that Georgia Tech game.” -- Jamon Dumas-Johnson on Georgia-Georgia Tech.
- “Smael did a great job fighting back. Still not a 100 percent. I’m proud of him.”
- “When Jalen Carter was out last year, we did what we were supposed to do. The first four games, our linebackers haven’t been getting touched unless we’re blitzing. I think our linemen are doing good.”
- “When he can be consistent in that I think Warren can be real dangerous.” -- Jamon Dumas-Johnson on Warren Brinson.
- “It’s just loud. Just have to get them ready.”
- “I think Ladd has done a really good job of staying locked in. I know he wants to be out there and playing. He’s staying ready and we’ll see how he’s doing.” -- Brock Bowers on Ladd McConkey.
- “It’ll help out dispersing the reps.” -- Bowers on Lawson Luckie’s return.
- “He might need to put the hurdle away for a while.” -- Bowers on Oscar Delp’s failed hurdle.
- “Sometimes you like it, sometimes you don’t. Sometimes I get tired.” -- Bowers on the increased reps.
- “We’ve already played four games as a unit and he’s been fine. We just have to anticipate checks and stuff like that before it happens.
- “I’m pretty sure he blew out the speakers last week. He blew them out.” -- Bowers on preparing for Georgia’s game at Auburn.
- “It’s kind of a win for the tight ends. It’s getting a lot of media coverage.” -- Brock Bowers on Travis Kelce dating Taylor Swift.
- “I think that is something we’re going to find out. It’s different when it’s live. I’m very confident in Carson’s ability to communicate and understand things.” -- Smart on Carson Beck handling the crowd noise.
- “He’s got to be able to practice. He’s going to be able to come back to practice this week. He had a two-week advised shutdown.We expect him to go out there today and do some things. Non-contact to start the week and hopefully he’ll make some progress.” -- Smart on Ladd McConkey
- “We use crowd noise year-round. We’ve done it since the first day of practice of camp. The crowd noise doesn’t always create the anxiety. We play at home in one of the loudest environments in the country. You find out what they know.”
- “We got those speakers fixed. I don’t think they blew because of us but rather old age.”
- “He’s really improved tremendously.” Smart on Andrew Paul.
Georgia goes on the road for this time this season to take on the Auburn Tigers. Not only will it be Georgia’s first road game, it will also be Carson Beck’s first road start for the Bulldogs.
“It’s always a little bit different as far as going on the road ‘cause it’s a different schedule,” Beck said on Saturday. “We have to travel, get on the plane. I think we’ll handle it well. We’ll get in there on Sunday and start preparing.”
Beck is coming off his best game as a Bulldog, throwing for 337 yards and 3 touchdowns in the win over UAB. Auburn should present a much stiffer challenge for the junior Georgia quarterback.
Auburn is coming off a 27-10 loss to Texas A&M in which they did not score an offensive touchdown.
Kirby Smart knows however that Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze will make things difficult for Georgia this week. Freeze is 1-0 all-time against Smart, with his Ole Miss team beating Georgia 45-14 back in 2016.
“I certainly have a lot of respect for Hugh. I know the coach he is, I know the motivator, the teacher he is,” Smart said. “He gets the players to play really hard for him, they respect him and they buy in. They have an incredible staff. Those guys do a really good job.”
Freeze is taking over for Bryan Harsin, who was fired last season.
Georgia has dominated its series against Auburn of late, winning six straight games in the rivalry. Smart is 7-1 as Georgia’s head coach against Auburn, with the lone loss coming in 2017.
Georgia beat Auburn 42-14 last. The last time these two teams played in Auburn, Ala., Georgia won 34-10. Mike Bobo, now Georgia’s offensive coordinator, was Auburn’s offensive coordinator at the time.
Georgia football-Auburn injury report
- Amarius Mims, ankle -- out
- Branson Robinson, knee -- out
- Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins, foot -- out
- EJ Lightsey, shoulder -- out
- Joshua Miller, undisclosed -- out
- Kelton Smith Jr., undisclosed -- out
- Cole Speer, undisclosed -- out
- Pearce Spurlin, AC joint -- out
- Javon Bullard, ankle -- questionable
- Roderick Robinson, ankle -- questionable
- Ladd McConkey, back -- questionable
- Kendall Milton, knee -- questionable
- Lawson Luckie, ankle -- questionable
- Mykel Williams, illness -- probable
- Austin Blaske, MCL sprain -- probable
Georgia football-Auburn game time for Week 5 game
The Georgia football-Auburn game is set for a 3:30 p.m. ET start.
Georgia football-Auburn TV channel for Week 5 game
The Georgia football-Auburn game will be broadcast on CBS.