Georgia moves up in ESPN’s post-spring power rankings
ESPN released its post-spring power rankings on Friday. And like just about every other way too early rankings post, the Georgia Bulldogs come in as the No. 3 team in the country.
The only teams Georgia is behind are two teams that played for the national title in Clemson and Alabama.
ESPN’s Alex Scarborough provided some insight as to why the Bulldogs are the No. 3 team following spring practice.
“We’re going to have to trust Jake Fromm when he says he and the offense made strides this spring, because it didn’t show up on G-Day, with the exception of a seemingly rising star in wideout Jeremiah Holloman,” Scarborough wrote. “The defense, on the other hand, was a reason for optimism. The secondary, which must replace first-round pick Deandre Baker, was aggressive and appears to have an emerging playmaker in third-year cornerback Eric Stokes.”
Stokes had a pick-6 during the spring game. Holloman, who is Georgia’s best returning wide receiver also scored a touchdown in the spring game. Fromm completed 14 of his 29 passes for 116 yards. But as a sophomore, Fromm threw for 30 touchdowns compared to just 6 interceptions.
Georgia brings back perhaps the best offensive line in all of college football. The Bulldogs also have 1,000 yard rusher D’Andre Swift. He will be sharing the load with the likes of Brian Herrien and Zamir White this fall.
On the defensive side of the ball, freshman Nakobe Dean and Nolan Smith both made early impacts this spring and could be huge players this fall for the Bulldogs.
Some of Georgia major 2019 opponents were also featured in the power rankings. Notre Dame, who plays Georgia on Sept. 21, came in at No. 6. The Florida Gators were another Georgia opponent that was ranked in the top 10, as they came in at No. 8.
The Bulldogs will also see No. 12 Texas A&M and No. 18 Auburn on the schedule as well. Georgia begins its 2019 season on Aug. 31 when it visits Vanderbilt.
Best Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia baseball without top pitcher, hitter, closer for start of pivotal Florida series
- Georgia football fans next want to see Herschel Walker honored
- Georgia’s Anthony ‘Antman’ Edwards projected No. 2 in 2020 NBA Draft
- Georgia football podcast: National media lists reasons UGA’s a Playoff contender
- WATCH: Elite ILB target Len’Neth Whitehead stars in a different high school highlight
- 5-star OLB Mekhail Sherman shares rare insight on recent UGA visit
- Departing Georgia football star: ‘too early for people to freak out’
- What to make of UGA being ranked behind Georgia Tech in 2020 recruiting rankings