Georgia will be without one of its tight ends for the remainder of spring practice, as DawgNation has learned freshman Pearce Spurlin suffered a collarbone injury that required surgery. Jake Rowe of DawgsHQ was the first to report the news.
Spurlin signed with Georgia in the 2023 recruiting class. He was the No. 2 overall tight end in the class per the On3 Industry ranking.
Georgia did also bring in 4-star tight end Lawson Luckie in the 2023 signing class as well. With Spurlin out, he will see more reps behind Brock Bowers and Oscar Delp at the tight end position.
“They’ve been doing good. It’s just buried in the playbook right now because it’s a big transition from high school. That’s just how I felt about it,” Bowers said of Spurlin and Luckie. “Yeah, they’re getting it, and they’re making a lot of plays, so they’re looking good.”
Spurlin also missed a significant portion of his senior season of high school due to a shoulder injury as well. His current injury is not expected to impact his availability for fall practice, though it does leave Georgia with just three scholarship tight ends at the moment.
Georgia saw four tight ends depart the program this offseason, as Arik Gilbert, Brett Seither and Ryland Goede all transferred while Darnell Washington is off to the NFL draft. Georgia is still recruiting 5-star 2023 tight end Duce Robinson but he has been trending towards USC as of late.
The Bulldogs have completed four practices so far this spring. Georgia concludes spring ball on April 15 when it plays its G-Day game. The spring scrimmage is set for 4 p.m. ET and will air on ESPN2.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football QB Derby: Jake Fromm breaks down 3 candidates, ‘different packages’
- NFL veteran coach explains why Jalen Carter’s off-field issues won’t affect his NFL Draft stock
- Kristopher Jones: Top 10 LB prospect breaks down impactful three-day visit to check out Georgia football
- Georgia football practice report: Newcomers learning quick lessons about the Georgia standard
- What recent analyst additions says about Georgia football coaching staff
- Latest Mel Kiper Jr. 2023 NFL Mock Draft has Georgia football with 4 first-round selections
- Austin Blaske, Earnest Greene and what happens next for Georgia football at offensive tackle