Kirby Smart updates injury status of AD Mitchell, other Bulldogs entering South Carolina game
As Georgia enters their first SEC game of the season, Georgia coach Kirby Smart provided a deeper update on the status of several Bulldogs.
Most paramount is wide receiver AD Mitchell. He left after the opening play on offense with a left ankle injury.
AD will not be able to practice today,” Smart said. “We’re hopeful (to get him back) but it’s more about where he goes and where is at.”
Mitchell had four catches for 65 yards and a touchdown in the opening game against Oregon. In Mitchell’s absence, Georgia spread the ball around as 15 different players came down with a catch. Kenny McIntosh led Georgia in receiving once again, catching five passes for 61 yards.
Smart also provided an update on defensive back William Poole, who did not play in the win over Samford, simply saying he was just not in the lineup. Poole did dress out on Saturday. Javon Bullard and Tykee Smith saw increased workloads at the star position for Georgia.
The Bulldogs were also without cornerback Nyland Green on Saturday, as he is dealing with a hamstring injury. Smart also provided an update on Arian Smith, who is doubtful for this week per Smart.
“Arian is coming back, he’s been able to do some weight-bearing running,” Smart said. “We don’t know when he’s going to get back but he is back running. He’s not 100 percent. He’s getting better and you can see it in his eyes.
Georgia visits South Carolina this week, with the game set for a 12 p.m. ET start. The Gamecocks are coming off a loss to No. 10 Arkansas. This will be Georgia’s first road game and SEC game of the season.
Georgia football-South Carolina injury news
- Andrew Paul (out, knee)
- CJ Washington (out, neck)
- Arian Smith (out, ankle)
- AD Mitchell (doubtful, ankle)
- Nyland Green (doubtful, hamstring)
- CJ Smith (questionable, knee)
- William Poole (unknown)
- De’Nylon Morrissette (probable, knee)
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia opens as large road favorite at South Carolina
- Georgia football-South Carolina live updates, injury news, practice notes for Week 3 game
- Georgia football stock report: The Giant Mismatch is soaring, teams have no answer
- Georgia football winners and losers following shutout win over Samford
- 5 takeaways from 33-0 Georgia win over Samford
- Georgia football moves to No. 1 in AP Poll Top 25 rankings for Week 3
- Social media makes strong case for Georgia football being No. 1 after chaotic Week 2
- Mykel Williams, Dillon Bell among Georgia football freshmen making noticeable impact in first home game
- The simple reason Mykel Williams will be ‘a great, dominant player’ for Georgia football defensive line
- Arian Smith shares sage advice for Kendall Milton, other injured Georgia Bulldogs
- Nazir Stackhouse: Georgia star Jalen Carter will prove teams wrong that pass on him in 2023 NFL Draft
- Kirby Smart ‘not gonna whine and cry’ about new SEC scheduling model
- Georgia football will quickly learn what it has in ‘exciting’ freshman Roderick Robinson