Kirby Smart updates latest on tight end Arik Gilbert ahead of SEC championship game against LSU
ATHENS — Georgia may not have a former LSU Tiger available on Saturday, as Arik Gilbert has not dressed for Georgia in either of the last two games.
The former 5-star prospect signed with LSU as a recruit in the 2020 recruiting cycle. He caught 35 passes for 368 yards and two touchdowns in eight games as a freshman at LSU before entering the transfer portal.
He ultimately ended up at Georgia ahead of the 2021 season. He stepped away from the team in August of last year before rejoining the team in January. He last played for the Bulldogs against Vanderbilt, where he caught two passes for 16 yards, one of which resulted in a touchdown.
Georgia coach Kirby Smart provided an update on Gilbert, who was not seen in uniform for Saturday’s win over Georgia Tech.
“We’re trying to help him be the best person he can on and off the field, and that’s decisions we make each and every week,” Smart said.
Without Gilbert, Georgia still has plenty of options in the tight end room. Brock Bowers is the team’s leading receiver this season, while Darnell Washington has also provided a boost to the Georgia passing attack.
LSU coach Brian Kelly arrived after Gilbert had left the program, but he knows Georgia’s talented group of tight ends will provide problems for the LSU defense.
I think ‘lethal’ is a good word,” Kelly said. “Darnell Washington is a large person, 6′7″. I mean, there’s nobody that really has a favorable matchup against him. Then Bowers, he’s a Lombardi Award finalist. Coach Monken gets him involved in everything from handoff sweeps to I don’t know if he’s thrown the ball yet, but I’m sure he will. He’s just a versatile player. He’s a guy that can break games open.
“As talented and as productive as a tandem that you’ll see.”
Smart said on Sunday that edge rusher Marvin Jones Jr. is dealing with ankle injury, though the seriousness of said injury is unknown at this point. Wide receiver De’Nylon Morrissette is dealing with a groin injury but he is expected to practice this week for Georgia.
The Bulldogs face LSU on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. ET. CBS will broadcast the game.
Kirby Smart gives the latest on Arik Gilbert
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- CJ Jackson: Recent 2024 offer talks up Georgia football ‘priority’ status and red carpet treatment
- Georgia football stock report: Kenny McIntosh carries offense, defense dominates
- Georgia football winners and losers as Bulldogs complete perfect regular season, look ahead to LSU
- LSU QB ankle injury could factor into Georgia betting line increase in SEC title game
- Kirby Smart gives latest injury report for Georgia football heading into 2022 SEC Championship Game
- Georgia football-LSU live updates, injury news, practices notes for 2022 SEC Championship Game
- Georgia Football keeps top spot in AP Poll Top 25 rankings Week 14 thanks to strong special teams play
- Georgia football sits at No. 1 in Coaches Poll top 25 rankings for Week 14 heading into SEC championship game
- Justin Greene commitment a much-needed win for Georgia football defensive line recruiting
- Ladd McConkey already generating national media buzz entering 2023 season
- Sammy Brown commitment shows Georgia is still going to do battle with Clemson
- What social media is saying following Georgia’s massive recruiting weekend
- Richard Seymour, Garrison Hearst nominated for College Football Hall of Fame