Malik Herring had been having a strong week down in Mobile, Ala., at the Senior Bowl. That’s what makes Thursday’s news that he suffered a torn ACL all the more gutting.
Rivals’ Anthony Dasher was the first to report the news that Herring tore his right ACL. He was spotted on crutches during Thursday’s practice.
— Anthony Dasher (@AnthonyDasher1) January 28, 2021
Herring was a multi-year starter for Georgia and a key piece of the nation’s top rush defense in each of the past two seasons. As a senior, he finished with 20 tackles and 24 quarterback pressures while starting eight games for the Bulldogs. He was one of six Georgia players taking part in the Senior Bowl.
Former Georgia guard Ben Cleveland also picked up an injury this week, suffering one to his right ankle. Linebacker Monty Rice has also not been able to participate this week, likely stemming from his lingering foot injury.
The healthy Bulldogs this week have been tight end Tre’ McKitty, cornerback DJ Daniel and defensive back Mark Webb. All three have impressed at times, making a number of impressive plays. Webb had an interception of one-time Georgia quarterback Jamie Newman on Wednesday.
Tips and over throws…. https://t.co/s9rjBUjF92
— XVIII (@humblehead_mark) January 27, 2021
Thursday is the final day of practice before Saturday’s game. With no NFL combine this year, the Senior Bowl represented an even bigger opportunity to get in front of scouts and NFL decision-makers.
The Senior Bowl game is set for Saturday at 2:30 p.m. ET.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Gunner Stockton: The must-read stories on the 5-star who will ‘unleash hell’ on the field
- Top 2022 recruits take notice of Gunner Stockton’s UGA commitment
- TopGolf coming to Sanford Stadium in June 2021
- Former SEC head coach predicts great success for Jahmile Addae at Georgia
- Way-too-early game predictions for Georgia football 2021 schedule
- Instant observations regarding Georgia football 2021 schedule
- Georgia football 2021 schedule: quick takes on each game
- How the 2021 coaching carousel has impacted the Georgia football program
- Georgia football hires West Virginia CB coach Jahmile Addae
- Tennessee to hire Josh Heupel of UCF to be its next head coach
- Senior Bowl weigh in: Georgia’s ‘Big Ben’ Cleveland posts Goliath numbers