Georgia football searching for new defensive backs coach as Jahmile Addae departs for Miami
A day after officially hiring an outside linebackers coach, the Bulldogs have another vacancy as Jahmile Addae is departing to be the defensive backs coach. Pete Thamel of ESPN was the first to report the news.
Addae was at Georgia for one season after coming over from West Virginia. He is the third Georgia assistant to depart the program this season, joining Dan Lanning and Cortez Hankton. Addae replaced Charlton Warren, who left for Indiana. Senior defensive back Chris Smith will be playing for his fourth defensive backs coach next season, as he came to Georgia to play for Mel Tucker.
Georgia must replace starters Lewis Cine and Derion Kendrick next season. Addae had played a role in bringing in a star-studded defensive back haul, as the Bulldogs signed three 5-star defensive backs in the 2022 recruiting cycle. Addae also played a role in landing 5-star edge rusher Marvin Jones Jr.
As for replacing Addae, Kirby Smart is one of the top defensive minds in the country and is very hands on when it comes to working with defensive backs in practice. Georgia also has Will Muschamp, who holds the title of special teams coordinator and co-defensive coordinator. Muschamp played an equally important role in closing on some of those talented defensive backs.
Miami did have a cornerbacks coach Demarcus Van Dyke on staff last season, and he could be a name to watch for Georgia. Former Miami defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson left Miami to become the secondary coach at Alabama.
Even if Georgia does slide Muschamp to defensive backs coach, Smart will have to add another on-field assistant. Georgia does have some high-profile analysts in Scott Cochran, Buster Faulkner and Mike Bobo who could all slide into various roles.
The Bulldogs did just hire Chidera Uzo-Diribe to be the outside linebackers coach for Georgia. Glenn Schumann will work as the inside linebackers coach along with holding co-defensive coordinator role. Defensive line coach Tray Scott will also return for the Bulldogs.
Related: Georgia football announces Chidera Uzo-Diribe as new outside linebackers coach
Georgia hired Bryan McClendon, ironically from Miami, to be the new wide receivers coach. He takes over for Hankton, who departed for LSU.
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- Georgia football podcast: A big difference between Kirby Smart and his latest recruiting rival
- Rueben Owens II: 5-star junior RB sees a ‘family’ in place at Georgia, dishes on recent visit
- Georgia AD Josh Brooks investing in fans, provides update on 2022 football ticket prices
- Georgia football Senior Bowl stock report: Championship Bulldogs soar in Mobile
- What 2022 Georgia football coaching staff says about Kirby Smart and what comes next
- Georgia’s Justin Shaffer solid in Senior Bowl, shares favorite moment of championship season
- A closer look at UGA’s latest coaching hire and other highlights from DawgNation Daily
- Updated Georgia football scholarship count after 2022 National Signing Day
- Senior Bowl: Derion Kendrick compares Georgia to Clemson, appreciates ‘Microphone’ Kirby Smart
- Justin Greene commitment a much-needed win for Georgia football defensive line recruiting
- Ladd McConkey already generating national media buzz entering 2023 season
- Sammy Brown commitment shows Georgia is still going to do battle with Clemson
- What social media is saying following Georgia’s massive recruiting weekend
- Richard Seymour, Garrison Hearst nominated for College Football Hall of Fame