The two guys Gunner Stockton wants to see in the 2022 Georgia class
Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This entry details the two prospects that Gunner Stockton named to join the 2022 class at Georgia.
TIGER, Ga. -- Gunner Stockton quickly brought up the names of two prospects he really wants to see become a part of the 2022 recruiting class in Athens.
When asked who he wants to see join him in Athens now, he fired off the names of two guys pretty quick. About as quick as his release.
To him, that answer could just as well be about a couple of great roommate prospects. Not just someone who can be a QB1′s best friend snagging passes over the middle and keeping his backside clean.
Or plugging up the A-gap as a lethal run stopper.
The first name he offered up was All-American TE Oscar Delp. Georgia legacy Drew Bobo was the second.
He went into great detail about why he felt they should be Bulldogs, too.
Did you know the weekly DawgNation.com "Before the Hedges" program is available as an Apple podcast? Click to check it out and download it.
Why Gunner Stockton wants #delpisadawg to be true
Stockton has heard for a very long time about how important Delp is to Georgia’s 2022 board.
“The coaching staff has told me that he is who they want,” Stockton said. “Just trying to tell him about that and how much I’d like to play with him.”
He’s not the sort to text him dog emojis all the time. They frequently converse via the social media app Snapchat.
“I really like him as a friend more than just a player,” Stockton said. “I want him to be my roommate. I put myself in his shoes. I didn’t want somebody to text me ‘Go ‘Dawgs’ every time when I was deciding where I was going to play. I’d rather someone just talk to me. That’s what I do. I talk to him and just figure out what he is all about.”
Stockton likely threw 400 balls to Delp this winter. They were part of the same Hustle, Inc. 7-on-7 team in Georgia. That group traveled all over the South to play in elite tournaments.
“Just the versatility here,” Stockton said of Delp. “He’s so versatile. People have a hard time knowing what to do when you put him out there and then out wide. It is just a big key part for us in this class. The big tight end. That quarterback’s best friend is a big tight end that can run and catch as he can. He’d be a big big part of it for us.”
As soon as Stockton knew he was ready to become a Bulldog, he’s wanted to play with Delp.
“Gosh I’ve been after him since way back in February with 7-on-7 and stuff,” Stockton said. “Hopefully he will make a decision soon and whoever he goes with is awesome but UGA would be really good.”
Delp has Georgia in the middle of a final four which include Clemson, Michigan and South Carolina. He will make his decision on Sept. 30 to honor his mother, Mary, on her birthday.
“I feel like he really likes Georgia and you can’t pass up the hometown feel of it,” Stockton said. “When you are leaving and going somewhere else it just isn’t the same as staying in Georgia. But I don’t think he will pass up on it.”
Have you subscribed to the DawgNation YouTube channel yet? If so, you will be able to see special 1-on-1 content with Georgia football names like Jake Fromm, Gunner Stockon and Brock Vandagriff here.
Gunner Stockton on Drew Bobo
Why does Stockton feel that way about Bobo? Well, there’s a local-slash-family connection to deal with that goes back to when he was six years old.
Bobo’s grandfather, George, has been one of the finest quarterback teachers in the state over the last 15-20 years. He was working with Gunner when he was just six years old.
Young Stockton would show up at six or seven o’clock in the morning and work out before going to school every day. Gunner was already heaving it some 25-35 yards in the air at that early age.
DawgNation recently had an in-depth interview with Bobo. That 6-foot-5, 295-pound interior OL is down to Auburn, Georgia and Kentucky. The 3-star OL moved over to Auburn High in Alabama from South Carolina after his father Mike Bobo took another offensive coordinator position in the SEC at Auburn.
“Drew has been a friend since I was really young,” Stockton said. “He’s a really good offensive lineman and he’d be an awesome roommate, too.”
Those two grew up together when Mike was in Athens and his grandparents had a place in Rabun County. It meant a lot of trips to Lake Burton for those two.
“We’ve been fighting together and stuff since we were six years old,” Stockton said. “I just want him to come and I know he will enjoy it. When Mike was coaching at Georgia, he grew up in Athens. I think he wants to come back and play at Georgia and I feel like he’s excited about it.”
(check on the recent recruiting reads on DawgNation.com)
- How did 5-star UGA commits Malaki Starks and Gunner Stockton open up the season?
- 5-star headliners Malaki Starks and Gunner Stockton are set to face off
- 2023 WR prospect Cayden Lee looks like another Jermaine Burton
- All-American Oscar Delp breaks down the final weeks of his process
- Georgia legacy OL prospect Drew Bobo is now down to a final 3
- 5-star DL Mykel Williams still sounds solid to USC but will likely give UGA an official visit
- Big Bear Alexander lists UGA among his final 2 schools
- BREAKING: In-state speedster Cole Speer commits to UGA
- Nation’s No. 3 TE Oscar Delp is down to four schools
- AJ Harris: 5-star junior CB sounds locked on a final five, eyes decision timeframe
- Justice Haynes: Dell McGee told the legacy RB just how important he is for 2023
- Bradyn Joiner: Elite 2023 OL “felt like Nick Saban in shoulder pads” at UGA
- Christen Miller breaks down all the love he got recently from UGA
- WATCH: New Georgia commit Griffin Scroggs breaks down why he had to be a Bulldog
- BREAKING: State champion OL Griffin Scroggs commits to UGA
- BREAKING: 3-star Texas WR Dillion Bell commits to UGA
- Georgia recruiting: Recapping the Dawg Days of Summer that ended the on-campus summer visits
- Cole Speer: “If I had a dream school growing up, it would be Georgia.”
- 5-star junior safety Joenel Aguero is already very high on Georgia
- Priority 2023 in-state CB target Kayin Lee dishes on his best trip yet to UGA
- BREAKING: Elite RB target Branson Robinson chooses UGA
- Kayin Lee: Georgia and Ohio State made two very big impacts on this 2023 priority DB
- Carlton Madden Jr: Fast-rising prospect says “it just feels like it is right” about UGA